Atlantic Health System’s Child Life Internship Program is a full-time position that meets all of the standards for child life certification. It is offered several times throughout the year with each session covering a minimum of 14 weeks or 525 hours. Interns rotate through both Goryeb Children’s Hospital at Morristown Medical Center and Goryeb Children’s Center at Overlook Medical Center in Summit while under the supervision of our certified child life specialists.
Requirements and Responsibilities of our Child Life Internship Program
Our internship is open to undergraduate students, graduate students or recent graduates in child life, child development or a related concentration with a minimum 3.0 grade point average (GPA). He or she must have completed 10 college-level courses in child life or a related subject with at least one course taught by a certified child life specialist. Related courses require a Child Life Council Eligibility Assessment for verification.
Applications must include:*
- Current resume
- 300-500 word essay that describes interests in the field of child life
- Copy of college transcript (unofficial is acceptable)
- Two letters of recommendations with at least one referencing the applicant's abilities in working with children
- Completed common child life internship application (found on the right side of current page)
- Documentation of 75 hours of prior volunteer experience working with children and families in an established child life program in a pediatric setting
If the internship will be conducted for academic credit, a description of academic requirements and the role of the university supervisor must also be provided.
Learn more from the Child Life Council on how to become a child life specialist >