Atlantic Health System offers comprehensive services for HIV and AIDS, including prevention, rapid testing and treatment.
HIV Testing and Prevention
Our state-funded program, available at the Family Health Center of Morristown Medical Center, prevents new HIV infection, provides early diagnosis and intervention, and links HIV positive individuals to treatment. Services include:
- Risk reduction counseling – Clinicians complete risk assessments and provide individualized prevention counseling.
- HIV rapid testing – Free, confidential, rapid tests provide results within 20 minutes.
- Condom distribution – Eligible patients can receive free condoms.
- Social networking incentives – Patients who promote testing services among their social networks may be eligible for gift cards.
- Partner services – With consent, positive test results can be discussed with partners confidentially and discretely.
- Referrals – Clinicians provide appropriate referrals to syringe access programs, sexually transmitted infection (STI) testing, and medical and supportive services.
- Preventative medication – Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) may be prescribed for individuals at high risk for HIV.
- Linkage to care and patient navigation – HIV patients who are newly-diagnosed or not receiving care will be linked to appropriate medical services.
- Community education – Upon request, community service providers can receive educational presentations on HIV.
HIV and AIDS Treatment
The Ryan White Services HIV/AIDS Program at the Family Health Center of Morristown Medical Center is a federally-funded initiative that aims to enhance the medical care and support services for people with HIV and AIDS. Services include:
- Case management and social services – Social workers assist our patients with needs assessment, benefit counseling, community referrals, psycho-educational services, mental health services, support groups and prescription assistance.
- Dental care – Both therapeutic and preventive dental care is available at Morristown Medical Center.
- Financial coordinator – The coordinator screens patients' eligibility for financial assistance programs, including Medicaid, Medicare, NJ Family Care and Charity Care.
- Infectious disease care – A weekly specialty clinic session provides infectious disease consultation for patients with HIV-related complications and treatment issues.
- Mental health care – Our counseling program coordinates patients’ mental health care and medical care.
- Nutrition services – A medical nutritionist provides clinical assessment and follow-up based on individual needs.
- On-site clinics – Dermatology, psychiatric, podiatry, endocrinology, diabetes and rheumatology services are available at the Family Health Center.
- Patient education and risk reduction – Personalized education plans improve patients’ understanding of HIV and enhance their ability to adhere to treatment.
- Specialty medical or surgical care – Morristown Medical Center provides consultation in all major medical and surgical procedures.
- Support groups – HIV patients can receive education and mutual encouragement in a private and confidential environment. For more information about our support group based at Overlook Medical Center, please call 973-714-3988.
- Transportation – Medical transportation is available for emergencies.