Recent advances in interventional cardiology have made the treatment of narrowed arteries (atherosclerosis) much safer and more effective for millions of patients. Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute’s interventional cardiologists at Morristown Medical Center are recognized pioneers in new therapies. Our physicians can treat even the highest risk patients with the latest in cardiac mechanical support and stent technologies.
Our interventional cardiology program provides the following services:
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterization and angiography
- Coronary stenting (percutaneous coronary intervention or PCI)
- Coronary angioplasty (PTCA)
- Cutting balloon angioplasty
- Rotational atherectomy
- Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) and intracardiac echocardiography (ICE)
- Valvuloplasty (mitral and aortic valves)
- Closure of patent foramen ovale (PFO) in patients after stroke
- Closure of atrial septal defects (ASD)
We also perform cardiac catheterizations at Overlook Medical Center.
Speed is often critical for successful angioplasty or stent surgery – the faster an artery is unblocked with a stent, the more heart muscle is saved. Rapid emergency response, called “door to balloon time,” increases survival rate and preserves the quality of life for acute myocardial infarction (heart attack) patients. We reduce response time with several strategies:
- Expert on-site nursing and technical staff dedicated to angioplasty and stent patients for night shifts
- A one-call system, in which a central operator contacts and mobilizes an angioplasty team
- Paramedics to transmit EKG results en route, so our cardiac catheterization lab is ready when the patient arrives at the hospital