Goryeb Children’s Hospital’s Eating Disorders Program has an intensive outpatient after-school program meets eight hours per week and includes:
- Medical monitoring
- Nutritional counseling
- Group psychotherapy
- Multifamily group therapy
- Multifamily meals
- Therapeutic supervised meals with post-meal therapy
Family-Based Treatment in Our Intensive Outpatient Program
There are three phases of care for patients in our outpatient program:
- Weight restoration and interruption of eating disordered behaviors – Parents choose the portion sizes and monitor all of the meals and snacks provided to their child.
- Returning the control – Control over eating is gradually given back to the child.
- Establishing healthy adolescent identity – The child has re-established developmentally-appropriate control over her or her food and normal adolescent development is encouraged.
Parents remain essential during outpatient treatment and are required to:
- Join weekly multifamily meals and multifamily groups
- Attend family therapy sessions and/or nutrition sessions as advised by the treatment team