Specialists at the Respiratory Center for Children at Goryeb Children’s Hospital at Morristown Medical Center and Goryeb Children’s Center at Overlook Medical Center have expertise in the evaluation and treatment of respiratory disorders related to neuromuscular and neurological disease, exercise limitations, lung immunology and birth defects.
Our diagnostic offerings for pediatric pulmonary conditions include:
- Bronchoscopy – This procedure uses a specially-designed scope to directly observe a child's airway, even the tiny airway of a premature infant. Your child’s comfort is our primary concern, and while this test is considered safe and useful in the diagnosis and treatment of lung diseases, it will only be used when the information it will obtain is vital to your child’s care.
- Exercise and extreme environment challenge tests – These evaluations assess pulmonary, metabolic and airway abnormalities under varying situations of physical stress, including high altitudes, air travel, scuba diving and mid- to high-level exercise.
- Exhaled nitrous oxide measurement – This assessment helps confirm the diagnosis of asthma and monitors the effectiveness of asthma medication and treatment.
- Infant pulmonary function test – This evaluation measures a variety of lung functions in infants and toddlers who are too young to comply with the necessary instructions of the adult test.
- Impulse oscillometry – This test uses sound waves to detect changes in the airways of patients who have lung conditions, and also measures air flow blockages.
- Sleep evaluations – Following a thorough review of the patient’s sleep history, a nocturnal polysomnography assesses breathing patterns during sleep.
Additional diagnostic tests include:
- Aerosol challenge
- Methacholine challenge
- High altitude simulation test
- Imaging studies
- Pulmonary genetic testing
- Sweat test
Treatment Services and Programs
Our highly-trained team of pediatric respiratory specialists provides a full range of pediatric pulmonary care services using advanced technology and minimally invasive treatments, including:
- Asthma Program – We provide our asthma patients’ primary care physicians with education and medical guidance on subjects such as home, school and workplace environmental control issues and the risk and benefits of various treatment options.
- Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Program – We provide supplemental nutrition support and ongoing specialized care for patients with bronchopulmonary dysplasia – a chronic lung disease in newborns caused by premature lung function at birth.
- Cystic Fibrosis Program – Our program is accredited by the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation and recognized as a state referral center for newborn screening for cystic fibrosis. Using a multidisciplinary approach, we help children and their families learn to monitor symptoms, improve and maintain diet and exercise, and perform home treatments, such as airway clearance. When our patients are ready, we help transition them to the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Center at Morristown Medical Center.