Being in the hospital can be upsetting for your child, as well as the whole family. Letting your child know what to expect ahead of time can help the whole family cope better.
To best prepare your child for surgery:
- Learn as much as possible about your child’s surgery.
- Answer your child's questions truthfully, according to his/her age and developmental level.
- Ask your pediatrician for advice.
- Read books about hospitalization with your child.
- Take your child on a scheduled hospital tour.
- Give your child choices, when possible.
- Make an appointment for pre-operative preparations with a child life specialist who can provide age-appropriate explanations.