A developmental disability is a severe, chronic ailment caused by mental or physical impairments. Those with these conditions have limitations on major life activities such as self care, language, learning mobility, self direction, independent living and economic self-sufficiency. These disabilities usually begin before age 22 and require life-long, individually planned services. Atlantic Health System offers two locations to treat these types of conditions.
The Developmental Disabilities Centers (DDC), part of the Center for Human Development at Morristown Medical Center, offers diagnostic and treatment services for adults with developmental disabilities. We are also located at Overlook Medical Center's Union Campus. Our staff includes board-certified internal medicine physicians and nurse practitioners who collaborate with developmental pediatricians, neurologists, psychiatrists, clinical nurse specialists, psychologists and licensed professional counselors to provide comprehensive, integrated primary care and behavioral health services.
Any adult with a developmental disability is eligible for our services and should be registered with the Division of Developmental Disabilities (DDD). Our patients include individuals who live with family or in their own homes, supervised apartments, skills development homes with sponsors or group homes with staff.
Our medical developmental disabilities services include:
- Comprehensive medical and neurological evaluations
- Coordination of care
- Dental care provided by Atlantic Health System DDC Dental Services
- Hospitalization at Morristown Medical or Overlook Medical with coordinated follow-up care and discharge services
- Neurological examinations and testing
- Primary health care for acute and chronic illness
- Referrals for genetic counseling and birth defects diagnosis and counseling
- Referrals to subspecialists (cardiologists, dermatologists, orthopedists, etc.)
- Workshops and educational programs focusing on the special needs of people with developmental disabilities
Our behavioral health developmental disabilities services include:
- Behavioral outreach and mental health consultation
- Education and training workshops for primary care and community providers
- Observations, attendance at interdisciplinary team meetings and individual rehabilitation meetings
- Psychiatric services, including initial evaluation, medication review, diagnosis and ongoing medication management
- Psychological services, including individual therapy, group therapy, family and couple therapy, substance abuse counseling and psychological evaluations
Child Development and Autism Center at Morristown Medical Center and Overlook Medical Center
Part of Goryeb Children's Hospital at Morristown Medical Center and Goryeb Children's Center at Overlook Medical Center, our center offers medical care, behavioral health, educational, rehabilitation and psycho-social services for children and adolescents with developmental disabilities.
Our pediatric developmental disabilities services include:
- Case management for children in Morris County with developmental or chronic, disabling medical conditions
- Early intervention services for infants and young children from birth to age three with developmental delays
- Follow-up care for premature or ill babies
- Morris County Special Child Health Services
- Referrals to primary care, behavioral health and neurological services for adult individuals with developmental disabilities