Patients who have had a stroke can put their trust in Atlantic Rehabilitation in Morristown, NJ for comprehensive inpatient treatment designed to restore a healthy, safe and productive life. We’ve been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) for more than 20 years and were one of the first facilities in New Jersey to be awarded a specialty certification for our stroke program.
Our goal-oriented, individualized approach to stroke rehabilitation incorporates physical, occupational, speech and recreation therapies; speech-language and swallowing therapies; integrative medicine; innovative technology; and an education program. Specific services and treatment devices include:
- VitalStim® Therapy – certified speech-language pathologists use this technology to electrically stimulate the muscles of the throat to improve movement and control of the muscles used in swallowing
- Bioness® – a device placed on arm and/or leg muscles that delivers safe electrical stimulation to targeted areas to increase muscle function and strength
- LiteGait® – a partial weight-bearing walking and balance device that enables earlier walking in therapy for those who require additional assistance
- Wii™ -habilitation – patients can refine their skills through the use of Wii games and tasks
- Videofluoroscopy and electrical stimulation – help diagnose and treat swallowing disorders
- Robotic therapies – assist in building new neural pathways
- Medicinal care – helps manage spasticity
- Lingraphica® – augmentative device that improves communication and speech patterns
- AlterG Bionic Leg™ – first and only wearable single leg robotic trainer that is activated by the patient’s intent to move
Our multidisciplinary team includes a clinical director and physiatrist with specialization in stroke rehabilitation, a rehabilitation nurse practitioner, a certified rehabilitation registered nurse, a rehabilitation psychologist, highly-trained therapists and social workers.
In addition, our patients are encouraged to participate in mind body services that complement and enhance traditional physical, occupational and speech therapies. Through a research study conducted in collaboration with the Chambers Center for Well Being at Morristown and Overlook medical centers, we found that the use of Qi Gong in our stroke rehabilitation program reduced stress and increased patients’ functional levels.
Learn about our outpatient stroke services >
Learn about our post-stroke education program >