Morristown Medical Center supports a patient-centered, 24/7 open visitation philosophy. Some exceptions do apply, so please speak with the nursing staff on the specific unit you plan to visit to get the most up-to-the-minute information. General guidelines regarding individual units are as follows:
Labor and Delivery
- The birth partner is encouraged to be with the laboring mother during the birth process.
- Unless clinically contraindicated, the laboring couple may designate additional family members who may share in the labor and delivery process for a given length of time.
- Siblings of the unborn child are permitted only if they are accompanied by an adult other than the mother’s laboring partner.
Maternity and Newborn Nursery – Leonard B. Kahn Pavilion, Level A
- Unlimited visiting is permitted for birth partners.
- Siblings and grandparents may visit from 9:00am to 8:00pm.
- All others may visit from Noon to 8:00pm.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- 24/7 visitation is open to parents.
- All other visitors must be accompanied by a parent.
- A total of three visitors may be at each beside at a time, one of which must always be a parent.
- Both parents and visitors are required to remain at the bedside of the infant they are visiting.
- Children under the age of 14 must be the patient’s sibling.
- A health screening form must be completed once a day before the child enters the NICU.
- Siblings must remain at the bedside with their parents at all times.
- All visitors must wash their hands before entering.
Learn more about visiting the NICU >
- 24/7 visitation is open to parents and primary caregivers.
- Additional friends or relatives must be authorized by the patient.
- Two visitors, not including the parents, are allowed at the bedside at a time.
- Visitation from siblings under age 12 must be approved by a nurse.
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Parents, guardians and grandparents may stay with their child 24/7.
- One parent or guardian may sleep at the bedside, or a sleeping room can be reserved in the PICU Ronald McDonald Suite.
- Siblings may visit with parent supervision.
- Friends and relatives authorized by the parent or guardian may visit from 11:00am to 8:00pm.
- No more than two visitors are allowed per bedside.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Cardiac Care Unit (CCU)
- The patient’s immediate family members and significant others may visit 24/7.
- Only two visitors are permitted at a time.
- Children under 12 are not allowed unless otherwise discussed with the patient care team.
- Please do not bring flowers.
- Visitors are permitted 24/7.
- Only two visitors are allowed at the bedside at a time.
- Holding area:
- Two adult visitors are allowed at the bedside of both adult and pediatric patients.
- Surgical suite:
- One parent may accompany pediatric patients until the induction of anesthesia; proper surgical attire is required.
- Visitation is always subject to the discretion of the anesthesiologist.
- Main Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit and Cardiac Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit:
- Visitation arrangements must be made with the immediate family.
- Gagnon 3:
- Children are not permitted unless previously discussed with the health care team.
In-Patient Behavioral Health
- Visiting hours are as follows:
- Monday through Friday from 6:00 to 8:00pm
- Saturdays and Sundays from 2:00 to 4:00pm and 6:00 to 8:00pm
- Detox patients are not permitted visitors.
For more information about Morristown Medical Center’s visitation policies, please call 973-971-8005.