Diagnostic and Treatment Options for Cerebrovascular Disease
Experts at Atlantic Neuroscience Institute’s Stroke Centers at Overlook Medical Center and Morristown Medical Center are available around the clock to treat patients with cerebrovascular disease, a group of disorders affecting the blood vessels in the brain.
About 80 percent of stroke patients have blocked arteries in the brain that starve part of the brain of its blood supply. In the other 20 percent of stroke patients, blood vessels burst as the result of an abnormal outpouching of an artery, an aneurysm, or a ruptured small artery.
Physicians at both of our Stroke Centers assess patients rapidly to determine the cause of the stroke. If an artery is blocked, several treatment options are available, but speed is essential because the brain rapidly dies when deprived of blood. Intravenous tPA (the “clot busting” drug) can be used effectively in these patients if it is administered in the first three hours following the stroke.
For patients with bleeding from an aneurysm, new endovascular procedures, which work inside the blood vessels, enable surgeons to operate on the brain without opening the skull (craniotomy). In some patients bleeding arises from an abnormal tangle of arteries and veins, called an arteriovenous malformation. This condition can also be treated with an endovascular approach, sparing patients the risk, discomfort and longer hospitalization of a craniotomy.