The day before you have surgery at Newton Medical Center, please keep the following in mind:
- Fasting is required before most procedures. Generally, you should not eat (including gum, candy and mints), drink (including water) or smoke anything after midnight on the night before your surgery. However, your fasting requirements will be individualized based on the type and time of your operation, as well as your medical history. Your surgeon or preoperative (pre-op) nurse will discuss all fasting requirements with you beforehand.
- After surgery, you will not be allowed to drive yourself home, so please arrange for transportation ahead of time. Additionally, ambulatory surgery patients must have someone stay with them for 12 hours after they are cleared from the hospital.
- Call your surgeon if you have a rash, fever, cold, cough or wheeze, or you are feeling ill.
- Your surgeon or pre-op nurse will advise which medications, if any, you should use prior to surgery. These may be taken with an ounce of water, but only if instructed to do so.
- Make sure you know how to get to our hospital.