When having surgery at Newton Medical Center, your family or loved ones may be concerned about your well-being. Here are some helpful points for them to keep in mind:
- The surgical family waiting room is located adjacent to the Ambulatory Surgery Unit, located on the first floor of the hospital.
- Family should immediately check into the waiting room after you have been taken to the pre-operative area.
- The length of surgery time you were given is an approximation. Sometimes, procedures are completed as scheduled, but often they last longer than the initial estimate. This does not mean there was a complication or problem.
- A tracking board in the surgical waiting area can help your loved ones follow the status of your procedure.
- The surgeon will call or come out to see a member of the family when the surgery is complete.
- We will provide your loved ones with maps to get around the hospital. They may feel free to visit our coffee shops, gift shop, cafeteria, quiet room or chapel, but we ask that at least one member remain in the waiting room in case someone from our team needs to speak with them.