More than 300 individuals volunteer at Newton Medical Center annually. The mission of the Volunteer Services Department is to:
- Provide an in-service volunteer staff whose services augment those of the hospital personnel and benefit patients, families and visitors
- Ensure the highest quality of supplemental help by carefully screening and training each applicant for a special assignment
- Provide a learning experience for volunteers to justify their time and energy
- Identify and respond to our community's changing needs by placement of volunteers into community outreach programs
- Volunteers must be age 18 or over.
- Volunteers are asked to complete a minimum of four hours in one time slot per week for a period of six months to one year.
- Most new openings are weekdays 7:30am to 5:00pm.
Areas of Service
- Surgical Waiting Room – receptionist to assist patients and visitors
- Bee Hive Thrift Shop – owned and managed by the Auxiliary, the shop is operated by volunteers out of its building at 123 Spring Street in Newton, NJ.
Other Volunteer Assignments
- Patient and Visitor Areas – Charles L. Tice Heart Center, courtesy vehicle, emergency room, information desk, occupational therapy, patient mail, physical therapy, patient representative, pacemaker clinic, pastoral care
- Non-Patient Areas – business office, central supply, community benefits, health information, human resources, interoffice mail distribution, pharmacy, storeroom
How to Begin
- Complete the online Volunteer Application & Agreement, or contact the Volunteer Services Department at 973-579-8370 and ask for an application.
- Complete and return the application and agreement.
- Applicant will participate in an interview with the manager of the volunteer department.
- Attend a four-hour orientation and training session.
- Complete a tuberculosis test (provided by the hospital free of charge).