After delivering your baby at Overlook Medical Center, you will be given a birth certificate worksheet. It is important to complete this form carefully. Print clearly and double-check your work. The information on the worksheet will be used for your baby’s legal birth certificate. Once the birth certificate has been sent to the City of Summit Office of Vital Statistics, your baby’s name can be changed only by court order.
The following information must be correct to ensure that you receive a correct birth certificate. This information is also needed for your baby to obtain a Social Security card.
- Mother’s name (first, middle, last)
- Mother’s maiden name (her name prior to marriage)
- Father’s name (first, middle, last and suffix – Jr/Sr/III/etc.)
- Mother’s date of birth
- Father’s date of birth
- Social Security Number of mother and father
- Baby’s name (first, middle, last and any suffix – Jr/Sr/III/etc.)
- Mailing address of the mother – this is essential for the Social Security card)
After it is completed at the hospital, the birth certificate is sent to the Office of Vital Statistics, where it will be registered with the state and permanently stored. It takes about 14 days from the baby’s date of birth for this to happen.
To obtain a birth certificate, you can go to the Office of Vital Statistics or mail in a request:
The City of Summit
Office of Vital Statistics
City Hall/Health Department
512 Springfield Avenue
Summit, NJ 07901
$20 for each certified copy
Print an application for a certified copy of a vital record – Summit, NJ >