Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is a noninvasive medical test that uses magnetism, radio waves and a computer to produce cross-sectional images of body structures. The resolution is so detailed that physicians can detect tiny changes within the specific area that was scanned.
At Overlook Imaging – Union Campus, we offer a wide-bore MRI that produces high-quality images, while providing relief for claustrophobic patients and accommodating those who weigh up to 500 pounds. Routine scans, as well as breast and prostate imaging, are available.
Preparing for an MRI at Overlook Imaging
- Wear loose-fitting closing that has no metal fasteners; you may be asked to wear a gown during the exam.
- Guidelines about eating and drinking before an MRI vary with the specific exam and also with the facility; ask your doctor for specific instructions.
- Women should inform their physician or technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant or are breastfeeding.
- Patients with claustrophobia or anxiety may ask their physician to prescribe a mild sedative prior to the exam. A wide-bore MRI, available at our Union Campus, may provide additional relief for claustrophobic patients.
- Leave jewelry and other metallic accessories at home or remove them prior to the scan.
- Foreign elements in your body can affect the MRI scan and may require an x-ray prior to the exam if there is any doubt about their presence. Tell the technologist if you have:
- Medical or electronic implants
- An artificial joint
- Embedded shrapnel, bullets or other pieces of metal
- Tooth fillings or braces
Our radiologists are experts in supervising and interpreting radiology examinations. They will analyze your MRI images and send a signed report to your primary care physician or the physician who referred you for the exam. He or she will discuss the results with you.
Locations and Appointments
Overlook Imaging – Union Campus offers extended hours for MRI exams and free, public parking is available. MRI exams are also available at Overlook Medical Center’s Radiology Department.
Make an appointment >