At the Institute for Rheumatic and Autoimmune Diseases at Overlook Medical Center, our physicians rely on cognitive skills and the development of long-term relationships with patients who often have chronic diseases. Specialists work with each patient to develop a treatment plan to maximize improvement, minimize safety concerns and reflect up-to-date knowledge. Treatment plans often combine several types of treatment and vary depending on the disease.
Therapeutic options may include:
- Conventional oral and injectable medications
- Newer biologic medications, using the on-site Infusion Center
- Exercise, including physical and occupational therapy
- Pain management methods, including cognitive and integrative therapies
- Assistive devices (splints, braces, etc.)
During the last decade, clinical research has resulted in the development of new, more effective treatment options for many of these diseases – but much more needs to be done. Our team of health care providers continues to be actively involved in these research efforts to help identify new and improved strategies for treating rheumatic and autoimmune disorders.