Whether you are having same day surgery or inpatient surgery at Overlook Medical Center, after your procedure, you will be transferred to the Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU) where specially-trained nurses will provide care. Your blood pressure, breathing, pulse and heart rhythm will be closely monitored.
Visiting the PACU:
- A nurse will contact visitors when it is appropriate for them to see individual patients
- Visitors must respect the wishes of patients who do not want guests to visit
- Visitation is limited to one person for 10 minutes for adult patients
- Pediatric patients may have both parents visit together
- To respect the privacy of other patients, visitors must remain at the beside of only their loved one
- Food and cell phones are not permitted
Same Day Surgery Patients
Your physician or health care provider will give you specific instructions on how to best care for yourself. Follow these closely to maximize your recovery. Remember, if you have not made arrangements to have a responsible adult drive you home after your surgery, your procedure will be cancelled. You will not be permitted to drive yourself home, use public transportation or take a taxi alone.
After you have been discharged, anesthesia may still be in your system and may temporarily impair your ability to function normally. For 24 hours after your operation you should not:
- Drive a motor vehicle or operate machinery
- Drink alcoholic beverages
- Make any important decisions
- Be alone
For those patients who require a hospital stay after surgery, you will be transferred to a patient room after your time in the PACU. During your hospital stay, you will discuss your treatment and recovery plan with your health care team.