Whether your surgery is performed at Overlook Medical Center's main operating room or our hospital-based Same Day Surgery Center, understanding what to expect before, during and after surgery will decrease anxiety, make your stay more pleasant and even improve your recovery.
Ways to prepare for surgery:
- If you are having same-day surgery, you must make arrangements for a responsible adult to drive you home after your operation; if proper arrangements are not made, your procedure will be cancelled. You will not be permitted to drive yourself home, use public transportation or take a taxi alone.
- Call your doctor's office the afternoon before your surgery to confirm what time you are to arrive at the hospital.
- Do not eat or drink anything starting at midnight the night before your surgery. This includes no water, no food, no chewing gum and no candy. If you have concerns because your surgery will be late in the day, please consult with your doctor.
- Create a list of the medications you are currently taking, including the name, the dose, and how often you take it.
- Ask your doctor if you should take your morning medication(s) before coming to the hospital on the day of your surgery.
- If you develop a cold or fever before the day of surgery, please contact your doctor.
- We recommend that you make arrangements to have someone stay with you for the first 24 hours after surgery.
- If you have any questions regarding your procedure, please contact your physician's office.
- If you have any questions regarding your insurance, please contact your insurance carrier.
At Overlook Medical, state-of-the-art equipment is used to monitor your health before, during and after your surgery, and our highly skilled physicians, nurses and other health care professionals can address all of your physical and emotional needs. Please feel free to discuss your questions and concerns with any member of your health care team.