Patients with serious illnesses such as cancer often need specialized medical attention to improve their quality of life and that of their families. That’s why Carol G. Simon Cancer Center at Morristown Medical Center and Overlook Medical Center offers inpatient and outpatient palliative care focused on individual values, preferences and goals.
Our palliative care program is appropriate at any age or stage of illness and can be provided alongside active treatment. It is designed to:
- Alleviate pain, fatigue or other symptoms related to cancer or its treatment
- Reduce emotional and spiritual distress
- Provide support to families and loved ones
- Address the uncertainty of dealing with a serious illness
- Help patients make appropriate decisions regarding their care
In addition, our multidisciplinary team of doctors, nurses and other health care professionals will work with the patient’s oncologist or primary care physician and provide an added layer of support. They can also coordinate on-going care with local community-based agencies.
Please note that most insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid, cover all or a portion of palliative care services.