Carol G. Simon Cancer Center’s Gastrointestinal Multidisciplinary Program at Morristown Medical Center and Overlook Medical Center provides effective, technologically advanced treatment services for patients with all types of gastrointestinal (GI) tumors, including esophageal, stomach, biliary tract (bile duct), small intestine, colon, rectal, liver and pancreatic cancers.
Our GI cancer treatment services include:
- Chemotherapy – hepatic artery infusion pumps deliver concentrated chemotherapy directly to the liver
- Clinical trials
- Neoadjuvant therapy (chemotherapy and radiation therapy prior to gastrointestinal surgery) – encourages significant reductions in tumor volume, allowing initially unresectable cancers to become resectable, and providing improvements in survival and cancer control
- Radiation therapy – advanced interventional radiologic and radiation therapy techniques allow for precise tumor targeting
- Gastrointestinal surgery
- Advanced laparoscopy
- Hybrid procedure – combines laparoscopic and traditional surgery to treat benign and malignant gastrointestinal tumors
- NanoKnife® System – uses electrical currents to surgically destroy localized cancers in the pancreas and liver without damaging the surrounding veins, vessels and ducts
- Radiofrequency and microwave ablation – used to treat primary and metastatic liver tumors
- Traditional and minimally invasive gastrointestinal surgery – state-of-the-art fiber optic technology limits the amount of incisions, reduces pain and shortens recovery time for patients who suffer from polyps and cancer
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Wound ostomy care – stoma siting, preoperative education and counseling regarding the physical care of a newly created stoma and the psychosocial aspects of daily living, post-surgical follow-up care, problem resolution, support and guidance provided by a certified wound ostomy nurse
Multidisciplinary Clinics and Conferences for GI Cancer Patients
In addition, Carol G. Simon Cancer Center at Morristown and Overlook medical centers offers multidisciplinary consultations for appropriate GI cancer patients. Each patient meets with our nurse navigator and our team of physicians specializing in surgery, radiation therapy and medical oncology, who review each case and recommend an individualized treatment plan.