Overlook Medical Center
At the Gerald J. Glasser Brain Tumor Center, part of Atlantic Neuroscience Institute and Carol G. Simon Cancer Center, we know that the timely, accurate diagnosis of brain tumors is vital to improving outcomes.
Our brain tumor testing and diagnostic services include:
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with diffusion and perfusion imaging
- – Diffusion imaging helps identify the cellular structure of a brain tumor and perfusion imaging provides data on the blood flow to the tumor, which helps evaluate treatment results.
- Functional (MRI)
- – Patients perform verbal and motor tasks during an MRI, while blood flow to the regions of the brain is measured. This helps physicians identify the language and motor/sensory networks within the brain in relation to the tumor’s location prior to surgery.
- Diffusion tensor imaging
- – Surgeons use this technique to identify the white matter fiber connections within different regions of the brain cortex, so that they can be preserved during surgery.
- Stereotactic image guided brain biopsy
- – This minimally-invasive procedure begins with a computer-generated 3D model of the brain based on a patient’s MRI results. Next, surgeons use the model to calculate a precise path through which a biopsy probe can travel to obtain a small brain tissue sample.
- Neuro-pathology and tumor subtyping
- – Our neuropathology experts use molecular testing and tumor classification to predict the expected response to therapy. This plays a critical role in determining the ultimate course of treatment for a patient.