You're in Your 40s, and You're Fabulous
Atlantic Health System Women’s Health intends to keep you that way. It’s the decade to start paying attention to your body – it’s time to set goals to ensure that fabulous 40s feeling lasts for decades to come.
You have the experience and the confidence to tackle just about anything life throws your way, but you may be noticing some changes in your body. In this decade you may experience decreasing levels of estrogen and a menopause transition period known as perimenopause. We can help you navigate the ups and downs of this phase and keep you feeling great.
Find a Doctor
If you haven’t already, it’s time to form a relationship with a primary care physician, in addition to your gynecologist. This partnership is critical to your health now and in the years to come.
Let's Talk About Prevention
- Get an annual wellness exam, including basic screenings for blood pressure and other heart diseases, which can establish a baseline for your health.
- Review your vaccinations and keep them up to date. This also includes the flu vaccine every year and tetanus every 10 years. Learn more about vaccinations >
- Get a pap smear annually, or every three to five years, depending on your risk factors. Talk to your doctor about perimenopause. Find a gynecologist now >
- Speak to your doctor about getting a mammogram and discuss any changes in your breast(s) to prevent cancer. Learn more about mammograms and breast imaging >
- Get your first colonoscopy at age 45. Learn about our colon cancer screening center >
- Go to the dermatologist for a mole and freckle check. Find a dermatologist now >
- Have an open conversation with your doctor about weight, nutrition and lifestyle.
You may also want to ask your doctor about screenings and vaccinations appropriate for adult women of any age. These include:
- Hearing test
- Vision test
- Cholesterol screening
- Hepatitis A vaccine
- Hepatitis B vaccine
- Varicella vaccine (chicken pox)
- Measles mumps and rubella vaccine
- Tdap booster vaccine (tetanus)
- Bone mineral density (osteoporosis)
- Diabetes screening
Get Moving, Stretch Out and Get Some Sleep
Time may seem to be the one thing you have least of this decade, but you’ll thank yourself later if you do some of the following:
- Increase your intake of vegetables and fruits, and reduce meat and dairy products. Learn about our nutrition services >
- Add cardio to your day, every day.
- Start weight/resistance training to maintain muscle mass.
- Consider meditation or mindfulness activities, and speak to someone if you’re feeling blue. Learn about Atlantic Behavioral Health’s services >
- Get seven to eight hours of sleep a night. Learn about our sleep centers >
- If you smoke, try to quit. Learn about our smoking cessation program >
These recommendations are intended as a guide for women in their 40s who are of general good health to discuss with their physician.
We're here to help you navigate all your decades.
We're here to help you navigate all your decades. Call 1-800-247-9580 for a referral to a physician to discuss these recommendations.