Your help in making masks for our care team will help to ensure the safety of our health care professionals and allow them to provide extraordinary care to our patients.
These masks will be used for those in health care spaces who are not directly at risk for Coronavirus (COVID-19) exposure but still may want additional protection. This will allow the professional protective gear to be used exclusively for health care professionals who are at higher risk of exposure.
What you will need
- A tightly woven cotton, such as a dress shirt, sheet, or similar material
- Rope elastic, beading cord elastic will work (you may also us 1/8” flat elastic)
- Cut the elastic 7” long and tie a knot at each end (DO NOT knot the ends of the flat)
What to do
You can make two sizes: Adult or Child
- Cut fabric 9.5" by 6.5" for an adult or 7.5" by 5" for a child. Be sure any fabric design is placed horizontally
- Put right sides of fabric together
- Starting at the center of the bottom edge, sew to the first corner and stop. Sew the elastic with the edge out into the corner. A few stitches forward and back will hold this.
- Sew to the next corner, stop, and bring the other end of the same elastic to the corner and sew a few stitches forward and back.
- Sew across that top of the mask to the next corner. Again, put an elastic with the edge out.
- Sew to the next corner and sew in the other end of the same elastic.
- Sew across the bottom leaving about 1.5” to 2” open. Stop, cut the thread. Turn inside out.
- Pin three tucks on each side of the mask. Make sure the tucks are the same direction
- Sew around the edge of the mask twice.
When masks are complete, donate them at one of these locations>
Adapted from instructions by Deaconess Hospital