Morristown Medical Center supports a patient-centered, 24/7 open visitation philosophy. Some exceptions do apply, so please speak with the nursing staff on the specific unit you plan to visit to get the most up-to-the-minute information. General guidelines regarding individual units are as follows:
Labor and Delivery
- The birth partner is encouraged to be with the laboring mother during the birth process.
- Unless clinically contraindicated, the laboring couple may designate additional family members who may share in the labor and delivery process for a given length of time.
- Siblings of the unborn child are permitted only if they are accompanied by an adult other than the mother’s laboring partner.
Maternity and Newborn Nursery – Level A
- Unlimited visiting is permitted for birth partners.
- Siblings and grandparents may visit from 9:00am to 8:00pm.
- All others may visit from Noon to 8:00pm.
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU)
- 24/7 visitation is open to parents.
- All other visitors must be accompanied by a parent.
- A total of three visitors may be at each beside at a time, one of which must always be a parent.
- Both parents and visitors are required to remain at the bedside of the infant they are visiting.
- Children under the age of 14 must be the patient’s sibling.
- A health screening form must be completed once a day before the child enters the NICU.
- Siblings must remain at the bedside with their parents at all times.
- All visitors must wash their hands before entering.Learn more about visiting the NICU >
- 24/7 visitation is open to parents and primary caregivers.
- Additional friends or relatives must be authorized by the patient.
- Two visitors, not including the parents, are allowed at the bedside at a time.
- Visitation from siblings under age 12 must be approved by a nurse.
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Parents, guardians and grandparents may stay with their child 24/7.
- One parent or guardian may sleep at the bedside, or a sleeping room can be reserved in the PICU Ronald McDonald Suite.
- Siblings may visit with parent supervision.
- Friends and relatives authorized by the parent or guardian may visit from 11:00am to 8:00pm.
- No more than two visitors are allowed per bedside.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and Cardiac Care Unit (CCU)
- The patient’s immediate family members and significant others may visit 24/7.
- Only two visitors are permitted at a time.
- Children under 12 are not allowed unless otherwise discussed with the patient care team.
- Please do not bring flowers.
- Visitors are permitted 24/7.
- Only two visitors are allowed at the bedside at a time.
- Holding area:
- Two adult visitors are allowed at the bedside of both adult and pediatric patients.
- Surgical suite:
- One parent may accompany pediatric patients until the induction of anesthesia; proper surgical attire is required.
- Visitation is always subject to the discretion of the anesthesiologist.
- Main Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit and Cardiac Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit:
- Visitation arrangements must be made with the immediate family.
- Gagnon 3:Children are not permitted unless previously discussed with the health care team.
In-Patient Behavioral Health
- Visiting hours are as follows:
- Monday through Friday from 6:00 to 8:00pm
- Saturdays and Sundays from 2:00 to 4:00pm and 6:00 to 8:00pm
- Detox patients are not permitted visitors.
Additional Visitation Guidelines
- Visitors are limited to two people at a time to maintain the privacy and confidentiality of our patients, and to ensure a restful environment.
- Visitors are welcome and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, color, national origin, physical or mental disability, sex, ethnicity, religion, culture, language, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
- Most adult units do not permit child visitors under the age of 12. Please check with the staff at the specific unit for guidelines. In the event that a child is allowed visitation, he or she must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- Anyone who has been exposed to a communicable disease should not visit.
- Morristown Medical Center is a smoke-free hospital.
- Please use the public restrooms located on each patient floor rather than the patient’s bathroom.
- Please do not bring fresh flowers or live plants to patients in the Oncology Patient Care Unit (Simon 5), Intensive Care Unit, Critical Care Unit, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit or Pediatric Intensive Care Unit.
- Latex balloons are not permitted in the hospital.
- To protect patients’ privacy and minimize noise, please restrict your cell phone use to waiting rooms and common areas such as the cafeteria, lobby and meeting rooms. Use of the camera feature on cell phones is prohibited.
- As a courtesy to patients, please do not sit on their beds.
- You may be requested to leave a patient’s room during an examination. A nurse will indicate when you may return.
- In some cases, visitors may be permitted to stay overnight in the patient's room. Exceptions do apply, so please contact the specific unit for guidelines.
- In case of a fire, visitors should remain where they are until they receive instructions from the hospital staff and fire department personnel. Do not use the elevators.
For more information about Morristown Medical Center’s visitation policies, please call 973-971-8005.