The selection of students is based solely on academic qualifications, career interest and personal interview. No student will be discriminated against on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sex, handicap, disability or sexual orientation.
Students from academic affiliates are given first priority for placement.
To be eligible for admission, applicants to the School of Medical Laboratory Science must submit the following:
- Completed application package
- A non-refundable application fee of $100.00 (money order or certified bank check only) payable to “Morristown Medical Center” must be submitted with the application packet for your application to be processed and evaluated for admission into the program
- Completion of three years of post-secondary work (90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours) and active enrollment in a baccalaureate Medical Laboratory Science Program or a baccalaureate degree that includes all of the program prerequisite coursework
- A pre-requisite course grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher (out of a 4.0 scale)
- A cumulative GPA of 2.9 or higher
- Official college/university transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who are familiar with your academic performance
- A personal statement about career goals and interest in medical laboratory science professions
- In addition, if you have a current resume available, please include with your application
Pre-Requisite Course Requirements:
Students must have completed at least 16 credits in biological sciences courses, including:
- Anatomy and Physiology (4 to 8 credits)
- Cell Biology (3 to 4 credits)
- Genetics (3 to 4 credits) and/or Molecular Biology (3 to 4 credits)
Students must have completed at least 16 credits in chemistry courses, including:
- General Chemistry (8 credits)
- Organic Chemistry (4 credits)
- Biochemistry (3 to 4 credits) or Analytical Chemistry (3 to 4 credits)
Additional required courses include:
- College Math ( Algebra, Trigonometry, or Pre-Calculus) (3 credits)
- Statistics (General Statistics or Biostatistics) (3 credits)
- Microbiology (4 to 8 credits)*
- Immunology (3 to 4 credits)*
*Microbiology and Immunology courses must be taken within the past 7 years, otherwise the course must be repeated.
All courses must have a letter grade; no pass/fail grades accepted. Course credits for prior experiential learning, advanced standing or waiver of program courses will not be granted to any applicant, and remedial or survey courses do not meet the prerequisite course requirements and are not accepted for admission to the Medical Laboratory Science Program.
The application deadline is October 1 for admission the following May. Interviews are requested for those applicants who meet the initial screening criteria and will be at the discretion of the program director. Interviews will occur during the months of October and November, with final decisions of acceptance into the program by November 15.
- Additional requirements for international students and applicants who hold a degree from a university outside of the United States:Transcript evaluation from an approved transcript evaluation agency in the United States that states that your education is equivalent to a baccalaureate degree in the United States. A list of appropriate evaluation agencies may be obtained by contacting the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP):
ASCP Board of Certification
1-800-267-2727; option 2, 2
International applicants whose first language is not English must submit scores received on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): minimum TOEFL score of 79/80 on the Internet-based test, 213 on the computer-based exam, 550 on the paper-based exam. The TOEFL is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Applications may be obtained from ETS, Box 6151, Princeton, New Jersey 08541-6151. The results of these tests help applicants determine whether they are prepared to undertake study conducted in English before making extensive plans for study in the United States.
Application Package (PDF)
Please submit all application materials to:
Atlantic Health System – Morristown Medical Center
Program Director - School of Medical Laboratory Science
100 Madison Avenue, Box 17
Morristown, NJ 07960