Our mission at Morristown Medical Center is to train our residents to provide care that is compassionate, patient-centered, ethical and evidence-based. Whether as generalists or specialists, our graduates will be able to interact with community-based and academic physicians, advocate for patients from a variety of cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds, and practice self-directed learning each day.
What makes the Morristown Medical Center Internal Medicine Residency Program different from other community hospitals in the Northeast? Why should residents train with us?
The answers are simple. We value our people, our place on the academic ladder, our patients, and the possibilities for personal success that exist within each of our trainees. The size of our program means that we get to know each of our residents as individuals. We understand their goals and aspirations. We know their strengths, as well as the personal challenges they sometimes face. Our graduates’ success is the single most important measure of our own. The commitment we make to every one of our trainees is that we will help them to achieve their best. It is a job we love to do.
Our dynamic training program features:
- An incredible diversity of cases and pathology that easily rivals that of university programs
- Dedicated faculty and expert specialists who are committed to providing excellent resident education
- A spirit of camaraderie in a community of residents who care about each other
- A commitment to continual program improvement guided by resident and faculty feedback
- A simulation laboratory equipped with SimMan and other mannequins and models to train residents in emergency management and procedural skills
- A full range of support services that allow trainees to focus on patient care and learning
- A broad range of online curricula and learning resources
- An excellent board pass rate (100 percent of 2014 graduates, with a three-year rolling average of 92 percent)
- A beautiful suburban location in a mild four-season climate
With more than 30 years of experience in medical education, I know that the key to a vibrant educational environment is the residents themselves. We seek enthusiastic, inquisitive and well-rounded professionals who are commited to teamwork and caring. The personal and professional needs of residents continually evolve over time. Our hands-on approach personalizes our trainees' medical education and ensures that the needs of each individual are a first priority.
Donna Astiz, MD
Residency Program Director