Ambulatory Medicine is a vital part of the Overlook Medical Center Internal Medicine Residency Program. Our residents receive their ambulatory medicine training at the Atlantic Medical Group Internal Medicine Residency Practice at Union which is located about seven miles from Overlook Medical Center. The ambulatory experience provides training for residents in preventive medicine, chronic disease management, urgent ambulatory medicine, telemedicine and post hospitalization follow up.
Highlights of the ambulatory block rotation includes the following:
- Residents build their continuity panel as there is no weekday on call or coverage for other services
- Residents attend 4-5 continuity sessions in the office as well as other ambulatory care experiences such as specialty sessions- Nephrology, Cardiology and HIV clinics each week
- Dedicated sessions at the Overlook Medical Center Preoperative Services to learn about medical optimization of the surgical patient
- Onsite faculty preceptors with a ratio of residents to faculty 3:1 or lower
- Online Johns Hopkins Ambulatory curriculum and Yale Office Based Medicine Curriculum support
- Integrated quality improvement education and projects
- EPIC electronic medical record to facilitate the transfer or information across both inpatient and outpatient setting
- ½ day per week wellness session providing protected time for self-care
- Interdisciplinary team approach to patient care with onsite social workers, nurses, medical assistants and nutritionist
- PGY 2/3 residents learn how to take ambulatory call
- Firm practice model allows residents on the ambulatory block rotation to provide care for patients whose resident physician is not on the ambulatory block
- Onsite radiology suite and laboratory services
- The ambulatory site participates in the Overlook Diabetes Health Partnership Program aimed at personalizing health care plans for our patients with diabetes, focusing on education and access to care.