You will receive an excellent education and preparation for whatever career path you decide to take if you participate in the Pediatric Residency Program at Goryeb Children’s Hospital. To enhance your training and experience here, we provide our residents with the following opportunities:
Commitment to Work/Life Balance
Many residents live in beautiful and historic Morris County. The area has great restaurants, theaters, night life, shopping, parks and recreational facilities. New York City is one hour away on the NJ Transit Morris-Essex line.
The residency is very supportive of resident family life and many of our residents have started their families during their training. There are excellent schools and parks in the surrounding area, and a hospital day care center is available at an affordable rate.
Resident Representation and Leadership Opportunities
Residents participate in administrative roles on many levels from direct feedback sessions (Pediatric Medical Education Advisory Committee) that take place on a monthly basis to work on various hospital committees, such as Atlantic Health System’s Resident Council and Quality Improvement Council. One resident from each year is also selected as a program delegate to the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Each resident is provided with:
- Harriet Lane
- AAP Red Book
- Nelson’s Pediatrics with online access
- Subscription to PREP
- Pedialink account for online access to articles and exams
Each spring, the department of pediatrics sponsors all second and third year residents to attend the Annual NY/NJ AAP Pediatric Board Review Course.
- Welcome Intern Barbecue, to welcome our newest residents to the Goryeb family and celebrate the new academic year.
- Chairman’s Barbecue, for the faculty to meet the entire group of residents
- Department of Pediatrics Holiday Party
- NICU Party, held by the faculty for their staff and the residents
- Graduation dinner, where families of the graduating residents join the residents and faculty for awards and celebration.
- Biannual breakfast retreats for each class with the program directors to discuss issues of concern and share ideas
- Informal social events organized by the residents – from happy hours to baby showers