Morristown Medical Center
Atlantic Health System Heart Care’s world-class medical experts provide award-winning cardiovascular treatment services in state-of-the-art facilities, helping patients and their loved ones navigate complex medical situations with the assurance that they are receiving the best heart health care available.
Atlantic Health System specializes in open-heart, minimally invasive and non-invasive procedures and is supported by a multi-disciplinary team that includes cardiology specialists, vascular specialists, cardiac surgeons, critical care nurses, open-heart surgical nurses, physician assistants, electrophysiology specialists, cardiovascular technologists and clinical specialists.
In addition, you'll receive individualized care, including inpatient cardiac rehabilitation nurses who help you get back on your feet, dieticians who help you develop a sound nutrition plan, respiratory specialists who manage the ventilator system and social workers who make sure you have the home health care you need when you leave the hospital.
Atlantic Health System has earned numerous awards and accreditations for its cardiovascular services:
- Ranked a top hospital nationwide for cardiology & heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report (Morristown Medical Center)
- Recipient of the American College of Cardiology's ACTION Registry®-GWTG™ Platinum Performance Achievement Award for improvement in the treatment of heart attack patients (Morristown and Overlook Medical Centers)
- Performs more open-heart surgeries every year than any other cardiovascular surgery program in NJ, with consistently superior outcomes according to The Cardiac Surgery Consumer Report, compiled by the New Jersey Department of Health (Morristown Medical Center)
- Received full accreditation for the R. Gregory Sachs Chest Pain Center from the Society of Chest Pain Centers, an international organization that establishes standards for cardiac medicine (Overlook Medical Center)
- Designated a Blue Distinction Center for Cardiac Care by the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (Morristown Medical Center)
- Coronary Care Unit and Cardiac Unit winner of the silver-level Beacon Award for Excellence from the American Association of Critical Care Nurses
- One of only 60 hospitals in the nation to receive the Gold Seal of Approval™ Disease-Specific Care Certification from The Joint Commission for our ventricular assist device (VAD) program (Morristown Medical Center)
- Cardiac surgery program received a three-star rating from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, a rating achieved by just 10 percent of all cardiac surgery programs nationwide (Morristown Medical Center)
- The Cardiac Rehabilitation Program received accreditation by The Joint Commission; Certification: American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) (Newton and Chilton Medical Centers)
- Received accredition in adult transthoracic, adult transesophogeal and adult stress echocardiography: Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) (Newton Medical Center)
Heart care services may vary by location. Please confirm when booking an appointment.
Growing Forward | Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute
As a national leader in cardiovascular care and the largest program in the state, Morristown Medical Center’s Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute tirelessly confronts the challenges posed by heart disease, but the community we serve has grown. To meet the demand, we have proposed a two floor expansion adding 72 beds. The hospital has undertaken these projects in multiple phases of construction, and even though some are complete or near completion the fundraising continues.
As Dr. Stephen Winters saw his parents struggling to keep their independence in their advancing years, he knew he needed a plan that both addressed their physical needs and also respected their desire for autonomy. The specialists at the Geriatric Assessment Center at Morristown Medical Center evaluated Mr. and Mrs. Winters abilities, limitations, and medical and psychosocial requirements. With this information and the Center’s continued support, Dr. Winters was able to provide his parents a quality of life and degree of safety that made everyone happy.
Growing Forward Campaign
To ensure that patients continue to receive safe and efficient health care, Atlantic Health System must grow with the size of the communities we serve. We’re proposing a two-floor expansion to Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute that will include 72 new beds and an magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machine dedicated exclusively for cardiac patients.