Volunteers are a vital part of Atlantic Visiting Nurse. We are grateful for the hundreds of devoted individuals that generously donate their time and talent in support of our mission. Our volunteer network offers many unique opportunities to become a part of our family.
Volunteer programs include:
- - More than 125 volunteers provide services in patient homes, nursing homes, assisted living facilities and hospitals in Morris, Union, Essex and Somerset Counties.
- - We offer a limited number of volunteer service positions to high school students age 16-18, including Camp Clover, children’s grief camp.
- Supportive listening
- Family grocery shopping
- Read to patients
- Provide Transportation
- Assist with coffee and/or lunch service at the Adult Day Center
- Lending a helping hand
- Support the Caregiver
- Share a cup of coffee or tea
- Sit quietly
- Complementary Therapies such as Reiki, Healing Touch, Massage, Music, Art and Pet Therapy
- Provide a complimentary afternoon entertainment or activity program at the Adult Day Center
- Office administrative duties
- Bereavement support calls and mailings
- Community outreach
- Fundraising & events
- Camp Clover, a bereavement day camp for children
If you share Atlantic Visiting Nurse's commitment to quality end of life care, we invite you to join our team of more than 125 volunteers. The onboarding process begins with completing an application, followed by on-site interview, where we take the time to find candidates whose interests, skills and availability meet our hospice needs. Please note that due to volume and compliance, we cannot guarantee acceptance of all applicants.
We ask that prospective candidates provide information on employment and previous volunteer experiences, as well as personal information and position preferences. Applications for our junior volunteer program must be signed by a parent or guardian and include a reference form completed by an instructor or guidance counselor from the applicant’s school.
Download our applications forms:
- Adult volunteer application
- Junior volunteer application (15-18 years old)
Completed applications can submitted via email or mailed to our address. If you are unable to download the application, you can call us, and we will mail it to your home.
Two references are required for adult volunteers. If your application is approved, we will provide you with the necessary forms to be completed by a non-relative who has known you for at least five years.
Candidates whose applications are accepted after being interviewed must
successfully complete several requirements before they can start volunteering
- Time commitment:
- All volunteers have the right to choose assignments that best suit their time, skills and interest. Time commitment also flexible.
- Verification of good health from a physician:
- A doctor must fill out a health certificate verifying a volunteer's ability to perform assignments at a hospital, as well as document immunity to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella, or chicken pox.
- Tuberculin screening:
- Two tuberculin tests, offered free of charge at any of our Medical Centers to all adult volunteer applicants, are required. Tuberculin tests may also be scheduled with a private physician but must be administered with a week off in between tests to be valid. Candidates who have a positive tuberculin test result must provide documentation of a negative chest X-ray.
- A flu vaccination is required during flu season for all volunteers. Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap) vaccinations are required for all adult volunteers; junior volunteers must provide proof of vaccination on their health form.
- Criminal background check:
- All adults must complete criminal background check and social security verification forms before they can be assigned to volunteer work. Please note that it may take several weeks to receive authorization from the state.
- Hospice Training:
- After acceptance to the program and completion of all required paperwork, volunteers must attend a hospice training and orientation session to learn more about our organization and their role with us.