The sooner breast cancer is identified, the greater the changes of a full recovery, which is why routine screenings are so important. At Atlantic Health System Cancer Care, we have a team of board-certified, fellowship-trained breast imaging radiologists and mammography and ultrasound technologists, who are experts in diagnostic procedures that can detect breast cancer quickly and accurately.
Mammograms and Preventative Breast Screenings
Routine breast screenings are intended for women with no symptoms of disease. Our breast centers offer:
Breast Cancer Diagnostic Services
- Women with a suspicious finding on a routine exam may need additional testing to determine the cause. In addition to digital mammography, 3-D mammography and breast MRI, our breast centers offer:
- Breast ultrasound – uses high-frequency sound waves to produce precise images of structures within the breast
- Ultrasound-guided breast biopsy – pinpoints the precise location of the abnormal area; a needle is then inserted into the breast to obtain a tissue sample
- Breast cyst or fine needle aspiration – removes tissue or fluid with a needle for examination under a microscope to check for signs of breast cancer
- Stereotactic breast biopsy – pinpoints the precise location of abnormal breast tissue, after which a needle is inserted to obtain a sample
- Vacuum assisted, MRI-guided core biopsy – uses a vacuum-powered instrument to collect multiple tissue samples during one needle insertion
- Galactogram – obtains pictures of the inside of the breast’s milk ducts with the use of an injected contrast dye and mammography
- Needle or wire localization – locates abnormalities that cannot be felt by hand via a thin wire that’s inserted into the breast; can be performed in conjunction with a mammogram, ultrasound and MRI, or as part of a surgical biopsy, fine needle aspiration or core needle biopsy
- Lymph node mapping with sentinel node biopsy – determines whether cancer has spread from the breast to the primary lymph node
- Histopathologic marker assessment – assesses presence of genetic markers for breast cancer
Bone Density Screenings
Our breast centers also provide bone density or DEXA scans, which may be prescribed for women at risk for osteoporosis. This test uses X-rays to measure how many grams of calcium and other minerals are in a segment of bone.
Breast imaging services and bone density scans may vary by location. Please confirm when booking an appointment.