Overlook Medical Center's Emergency Department received the Lantern Award from the Emergency Nurses Association.
Patients in critical condition are in good hands at Overlook Medical Center. Our modernized emergency department includes private examination rooms, an expedited care unit and some of the most advanced imaging capabilities in the region. We’re well-equipped to provide life-saving diagnosis and treatment. We also have a pediatric emergency department dedicated to the unique health needs of children.
Leaders in Emergency Neurological Care
Healthgrades has ranked Overlook Medical Center in the top five percent of hospitals in the nation for the treatment of stroke eight years in a row. We were also the first hospital in New Jersey certified by The Joint Commission as an Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center. As such, our emergency department is often the first stop for stroke patients and others with serious neurological impairments. The rate at which we get patients the clot-busting drug known as tissue plasminogen activator (tPA) is among the quickest in New Jersey thanks to telestroke technology, which allow us to start diagnosis and treatment in the ambulance.
Overlook Medical Center is equipped with a helipad for medevac air transport of patients needing urgent neurosurgery and has easy points of entry for those arriving via ground. What’s more, through the Atlantic Health System Transfer Center, we can expertly coordinate the transfer of stroke patients or their loved ones from anywhere in the world to our hospital.
Specialized Emergency Services
Our board-certified physicians, registered nurses, residents and technicians are highly-trained in emergency medicine services, such as:
- Behavioral health
- – for crisis intervention in high-risk patients
- Cardiovascular care
- – includes cardiac catheterization to treat heart attacks and specialized computed tomography (CT) scans to identify blockages in coronary arteries
- Child life services
- – specialists to help children and their families understand and manage the hospital experience
- Comprehensive stroke care
- – for the treatment of stroke, cerebrovascular and transient ischemic accidents using telemedicine and robotic services, among other treatments
- Expedited care unit
- – fast track treatment for patients with minor illnesses and injuries in a calm, comfortable environment
- – for the surgical treatment of neurological disorders using the Merci Retrieval System®, among other devices
- Pediatric emergency services
- – for the care of both minor injuries and life-threatening illnesses in children
- Radiology suites and diagnostic equipment
- – includes 640-slice computed tomography (CT), ultrasound and 3T magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) with artificial intelligence
Emergency Parking and Amenities
For the convenience and comfort of our patients and their families, Overlook Medical Center has dedicated emergency department parking next to our parking garage with handicap accessibility and valet parking. Inside, we have a modernized lobby, offering TV, Wi-Fi and a kid-friendly area for children. Learn more about our hospital parking and accommodations >
Emergency Care During the Coronavirus Outbreak
If you are experiencing a serious illness or severe symptoms of any kind, please do not put off seeking emergency medical care due to fears of coronavirus. Delaying emergency medical help could worsen symptoms or result in a life-threatening situation. In the event of a medical emergency, do not hesitate to call 9-1-1.