An anorectal manometry is a short procedure used to diagnose disorders of the anus and rectum, commonly referred to as “pelvic floor” disorders. We offer office-based anorectal manometry at the Morristown, NJ, location for Atlantic Digestive Health Institute. The test takes approximately 15 minutes and does not require anesthesia.
Anorectal manometry to diagnose:
- Fecal incontinence
- Rectal hypersensitivity
- Anal spasm
- Hirschsprung’s disease
- Other forms of pelvic floor dysfunction
How the test is performed:
- While lying on your left side, a thin, flexible catheter (thinner than a pencil) with a small balloon at the end and four smaller balloons a little further back is lubricated and inserted only 4 to 5 inches into your rectum.
- This catheter is connected to a small hand-held device that measures pressures in your rectum and anal sphincter as you perform a series of maneuvers.
- The nurse or certified medical assistant performing the procedure will ask you to squeeze, relax and push at various times.
- After this portion of the test is complete, the balloon inside your rectum will be inflated with air to assess the sensitivity of your rectum.
- Once this portion of the test is complete, this catheter is removed and a different, smaller catheter with a balloon at the tip is inserted into your rectum to perform what is called the “balloon expulsion test.” The balloon inside your rectum is inflated with 50 mL of lukewarm water, at which time you will be asked to sit on a commode (in private) and attempt to push the balloon out. This test is meant to simulate having a bowel movement, and helps determine if you may have difficulty with evacuation I.e. pushing out stool.
We ask that you give yourself a Fleet enema two hours prior to the procedure, and not eat or drink anything for two hours prior to the procedure. After the test is complete, you may drive yourself home and go about your normal activities.
Atlantic Digestive Health Institute Locations
435 South Street, Suite 230A
Morristown Medical Center Outpatient Medicine
Morristown, NJ 07960
333 Mount Hope Avenue
Morristown Medical Center Health Pavilion, Suite 350
Rockaway, NJ 07866