According to the American Heart Association, preventing heart disease (and all cardiovascular diseases) means making smart choice now that will pay off the rest of your life. That’s why physicians at Atlantic Medical Group have teamed up with the American Heart Association in an effort to improve managing cholesterol with their Check. Change. Control. Cholesterol™ program.
The Check. Change. Control. Cholesterol initiative aims to improve the identification and management of cholesterol across the nation. This national initiative aims to reduce the number of Americans, young and old, who have heart attacks and strokes by urging medical practices, health care organizations, and patients to screen and treat this important risk factor.
Check. Change. Control. Cholesterol supports physicians and care teams by offering access to the latest research, tools, and resources to reach and sustain cholesterol control rates among the adult patient population that they serve. Join us today to help improve the health of the nation. Our goals are:
- Increase awareness of cholesterol as a significant cardiovascular disease risk factor: what it is, how to manage and maintain, and to know one’s risk
- Educate, engage and influence patients to better manage their cholesterol and lipids through medication adherence, tools and resources
Takeaways for Patients:
- Know your risks for high cholesterol and know your numbers
- Talk to your health care provider about treating cholesterol, medical adherence and medical accessibility
- Understand the relationship between lifestyle and cholesterol
- Use the new tools and resources to help you understand more about cholesterol and minimize your risk
At Atlantic Medical Group, we not only provide excellent medical care, but also remain active in clinical research trials from which our current and future patients may benefit, as well as in the education of medical students and residents. Our participation in clinical trials, including studies sponsored by the National Institutes of Health, has helped expand treatment options for patients with high triglycerides and cholesterol.
Heart Care Prevention Resources
Resources for Patients
- Diets: DASH Diet to Lower High Blood Pressure and Cholesterol and Mediterranean Diet
- Answers by Heart fact sheets (a series of downloadable patient information sheets presented in a Q & A format)
- Women's Heart Health at Atlantic Health System
- AtlanticView: "Inherited High Cholesterol Can be a Silent Killer"
- AtlanticView: "Are You at Risk for Heart Disease?"
- Cholesterol Questions to Ask Your Doctor
- Cholesterol: Know Your Numbers
- How Statins Work (PDF)
- How Can I Improve My Cholesterol?
- My Cholesterol Guide (PDF)
- What Are Cholesterol-Lowering Medications?
- Your Cholesterol Score Explained
Resources for Professionals
- Guidelines and Statements for Control. Check. Change. Cholesterol
- American College of Cardiology Primary Prevention Hub
- American College of Cardiology Cholesterol Hub
- American College of Cardiology Statin Intolerance App
- Cardiovascular Risk in Pediatric Patients
- Coronary Calcium Score and Cardiovascular Risk
- Genetic Testing and Familial Hypercholesterolemia
- Guidelines for use of Lipoprotein(a) in Clinical Practice
- The ABCs of Primary Cardiovascular Prevention: 2019 Update