Healthgrades measures clinical performance and superior outcomes
MORRISTOWN, NJ– October 25, 2022 – Atlantic Health System medical centers are leaders in New Jersey and across the nation when it comes to delivering high quality care and superior patient outcomes across numerous specialties according to the Healthgrades 2023 Report to the Nation, released today.
Morristown Medical Center is the only hospital in the nation to achieve every one of the following Healthgrades 2023 Specialty Excellence awards: Joint Replacement, Stroke Care, GI Care, Critical Care, Bariatrics Surgery, Vascular Surgery, and 2022 Ob-Gyn awards for Labor and Delivery services and Gynecologic Surgery.
Morristown Medical Center, Overlook Medical Center and Chilton Medical Center are the only hospitals in New Jersey and three of only five hospitals in both New York and New Jersey to earn the Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Critical Care award.
These honors are given by Healthgrades annually to help patients in their decision making when it comes to selecting a specialist or hospital for their care. Healthgrades uses Medicare and other data to analyze a hospital’s quality and safety metrics in common inpatient clinical procedures and conditions and recognizes top-performing hospitals.
“Atlantic Health System’s extraordinary, innovative health care continues to lead the way in New Jersey,” said Suja Mathew, MD, Executive Vice President, Chief Clinical Officer, Atlantic Health System. “This outstanding recognition shows that no matter where, within Atlantic Health System, patients choose to receive care, they can do so knowing our entire team of talented physicians, nurses and other caregivers remain ready to deliver exceptional patient outcomes.”
Morristown Medical Center remains an annual leader as the only hospital in New Jersey or New York to be named one of America's 50 Best Hospitals™ in Vascular Surgery for two years in a row (2022-2023).
New this year, Morristown Medical Center is also a recipient of the Healthgrades 2023 Gastrointestinal Surgery Excellence Award™.
Overlook Medical Center is the only hospital in New Jersey to be named One of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care for ten years in a row, Gastrointestinal Surgery for seven years in a row, and the only hospital in New Jersey to receive the America’s 100 Best Hospitals Award in Spine Surgery in 2023.
In addition, Overlook Medical Center was named one of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for:
- Critical Care for eight years in a row (2016-2023), the longest running total for any hospital in New Jersey or New York
- Gastrointestinal Care for four years in a row (2020-2023)
Since 2019, Healthgrades has recognized Overlook Medical Center among the top five percent of hospitals in the U.S. for excellence in the Treatment of Stroke, Cranial Neurosurgery and Neurosciences more times than any other hospital in New Jersey or New York.
Overlook Medical Center was also one of only four hospitals in New Jersey to achieve all three Healthgrades Neurosciences specialty excellence awards in 2023: Cranial Neurosurgery, Stroke Care, and Neurosciences. In addition, Overlook is the only hospital in New Jersey to achieve both the Healthgrades Gastrointestinal (GI) Care and Gastrointestinal (GI) Surgery Excellence Awards for seven years in a row (2017-2023).
This year, Healthgrades named Overlook among the top ten percent in the nation for Cardiology Services, and for the second year in a row achieved the 2023 Spine Surgery Excellence Award.
In addition, Overlook is the recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for six years in a row (2018-2023). Overlook has also now achieved Excellence Awards in the following service lines:
- Bariatric Surgery for seven years in a row (2017-2023)
- Critical Care for eight years in a row (2016-2023)
- Chilton Medical Center was named one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals™ in Critical Care, along with earning the 2023 Critical Care Excellence Award™ and being named among the top 5% in the Nation for Critical Care. Chilton also earned the 2023 Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award.
- Additionally, Chilton earned Five-Star ratings (“better than expected” patient outcomes) for the treatment of:
- Heart Failure
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Diabetic Emergencies
- Bariatric Surgery (three years in a row)
- Sepsis (four years in a row)
- Newton Medical Center was recognized for both Critical and Pulmonary Care, receiving the 2023 Excellence Award™ for the second consecutive year. Newton was also named among the top five percent in the nation for Overall Pulmonary Services.
- Newton newly achieved Five-Star ratings for Total Knee Replacement and earned Five-star ratings for Treatment of Heart Failure for the 13th year in a row (2011-2023)
- Additional Five-Star ratings include:
- Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease for three consecutive years (2021-2023)
- Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeries (2023)
- Treatment of Bowel Obstruction for four years in a row (2020-2023)
- Pneumonia for two years in a row (2022-2023)
- Sepsis for 13 years in a row (2011-2023)
- Respiratory Failure for nine years in a row (2015-2023)
- Hackettstown Medical Center achieved Five-Star ratings for the treatment of four conditions:
- Heart Attack (2023)
- Stroke (2023)
- Heart Failure for three years in a row (2021-2023)
- Sepsis for four years in a row (2020-2023)
“We commend Atlantic Health System for their ongoing commitment to providing high-quality care to patients undergoing treatment related to each of these service lines,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer and Head of Data Science at Healthgrades. “Consumers can feel confident that hospitals with these awards by Healthgrades have demonstrated their ability to deliver consistently exceptional outcomes.”
Healthgrades is dedicated to empowering stronger and more meaningful connections between patients and healthcare professionals. As the #1 platform for finding a doctor and as a leader in healthcare transparency, we help millions of consumers each month find and schedule appointments with their healthcare professional of choice and prepare for their appointments with best-in-class, treatment-focused content.
About Atlantic Health System
Atlantic Health System is at the forefront of medicine, setting standards for quality health care in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the New York metropolitan area. Powered by a workforce of more than 18,000 team members and 4,800 affiliated physicians dedicated to building healthier communities, Atlantic Health System serves more than half of the state of New Jersey including 12 counties and 6.2 million people. The not-for-profit system offers more than 400 sites of care, including its seven hospitals: Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, NJ, Overlook Medical Center in Summit, NJ, Newton Medical Center in Newton, NJ, Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains, NJ, Hackettstown Medical Center in Hackettstown, NJ, Goryeb Children’s Hospital in Morristown, NJ, Atlantic Rehabilitation Institute in Madison, NJ and through its partnership with CentraState Healthcare System in Freehold, NJ.
Atlantic Medical Group, comprised of 1,000 physicians and advanced practice providers, represents one of the largest multi-specialty practices in New Jersey and joins Atlantic Accountable Care Organization and Optimus Healthcare Partners as part of Atlantic Alliance, a Clinically Integrated Network of more than 2,500 health care providers throughout northern and central NJ.
Atlantic Health System provides care for the full continuum of health care needs through 23 urgent care centers, Atlantic Visiting Nurse and Atlantic Anywhere Virtual Visits. Facilitating the connection between these services on both land and air is the transportation fleet of Atlantic Mobile Health.
Atlantic Health System leads the Healthcare Transformation Consortium, a partnership of six regional hospitals and health systems dedicated to improving access and affordability and is a founding member of the PIER Consortium – Partners in Innovation, Education, and Research – a streamlined clinical trial system that will expand access to groundbreaking research across five health systems in the region.
Atlantic Health System has a medical school affiliation with Thomas Jefferson University and is home to the regional campus of the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Morristown and Overlook Medical Centers and is the official health care partner of the New York Jets.