Following changes in COVID-19 transmission rates, we have updated our guidelines for the 2022 Rummage Sale.
- Shoppers are encouraged to wear masks.
We thank you for your cooperation for the health and safety of our volunteers, shoppers and the larger community.
3 days. 25 departments. Bargains for everyone and all ages.
Twice a year, in spring and fall, Atlantic Visiting Nurse holds an epic rummage sale at the Far Hills Fairgrounds off routes 202 and 512 in Far Hills, New Jersey. The sale is our major fundraiser. It helps us provide home health and hospice care for uninsured and underinsured patients.
The Atlantic Visiting Nurse Rummage Sale involves hundreds of volunteers and attracts thousands of bargain hunters who scour our two acres and 25 departments of bargain merchandise including:
- Adult and children’s clothing
- Pet supplies
- Lighting fixtures
- Fabric and sewing accessories
- Holiday decorations
- Sporting goods
- Decorative items
- Kitchen goods, and more
We greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness in donating items to our rummage sale. Each sale we are overwhelmed with the magnitude of your generosity in donating gently used clothing, furniture and household items. The variety of your items is what makes rummage such a special event and keeps our shoppers coming back.
If you are considering making a donation of saleable items to our next sale here is a handy list of what we do and don't accept.
What We Accept
We accept a huge variety of merchandise for our 25 departments
including clothing, furniture, household goods, kitchenware, décor items,
sporting goods, electronics, appliance, lighting, toys and seasonal goods.
We are currently especially interested in receiving:
- Audio equipment
- Audio systems
- Loudspeakers (bookshelf size)
- Cell phones (newer) and accessories in a plastic bag
- Computers and printers
- Apple desktop and laptops, all models and years
- iPad and iTouch
- Android tablets
- IBM type laptops running Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8 and 8.1
- Vintage computers including Sinclair, Apple, Commodore and IBM
- Computer speaker and subwoofer speaker systems including power pack
- LCD monitors including power pack
- Printers: multifunction laser and inkjet with a USB interface, including powerpack
- Digital picture frames including power pack
- Dorm refrigerators
- E-readers /Nooks and associated accessories/equipment
- Heating and Cooling
- Dehumidifiers (Spring sale) newer models
- Vaporizers (Fall sale only)
- TVs: flat screen
- Sewing machines (table top models)
- Audio equipment
What We Don't Accept
- Car tires & rims
- Car radios and speakers
- Car batteries
- Discarded library books
- Business/Finance, older than two years
- Encyclopedias printed between 1926 and 2016
- Magazines, including National Geographic (except old and collectible)
- Reader’s Digest Condensed books
- Textbooks older than two years
- Older fiction except classics
Computers and Electronics
- Dot matrix printers
- IBM type desktops and laptops with older processors, eg: P3, P2
- Large office copying equipment
- Non USB printers or scanners
- Stand-alone fax machines
- Tube type monitors
- Old processors add P4
- Windows machines with windows vista or older
- 30 pin apple products
- Homemade software
- Electric typewriters
- Air conditioners
- Attic and ceiling fans (unless brand new)
- Built-in or large appliances
- Commercial equipment
- Console sewing machines (large)
- Dehumidifiers (not in Fall)
- Electric typewriters
- Halogen lamps without safety guards
- Humidifiers –console (large old)
- Irons: non-steam or have used sole plates
- Loudspeakers: floor-standing (bookshelf OK)
- Microwaves – large, older and all built in
- TVs-any tube-based (CRT) or plasma
- Vacuum cleaners
- Box springs and mattresses, foam mattresses
- Beds: bunk, sofas, trundle, waterbeds, steel bed frames
- Built-in furniture/cabinets
- Baby furniture for infants and children not up to safety code
- Car seats and booster seats
- Cribs (all)
- Free-standing swings
- Entertainment centers
- Furniture made of particle board or formica
- Living room upholstered furniture
- Luggage that is locked and without keys or combination
- Computer desks
- Large office furniture/desks
- Metal file cabinets
- Sofas: Large three-cushion
Please contact us regarding large or heavy items.
Flammable Hazardous Waste
- Gasoline/kerosene-filled items
- Oil lamps with oil in them
- Propane tanks
- Motor oil
- Paints, stains & varnishes
Home and Garden
- Curtain rods and decorative that are not new in package
- Drapes/curtains with foam rubber, fiber glass, or rubber backs, venetian or vertical blinds or shades
- Fireplace doors
- Garden hoses (unless brand-new)
- Gasoline powered tools
- Large appliances
- Loose hardware such as nails, screws, bolts, etc.
- Renovation/remodeling leftovers
- Sinks, toilets, toilet seats, tubs
- Storm doors, screen doors, windows, and window screens
- Wall-to-wall carpeting, rugs without binding
- Tupperware and other containers without lids (cookie jars, canisters)
Movies and Music
- Audio cassettes or storage cases/racks
- VHS tapes or storage cases/racks
- 78 RPM records (made of shellac)
- Binders with company logos
- Game tables larger than 6 feet long
- Non-din ski boots
- Nordic tracks
- No hockey equipment (except skates and sticks and pucks)
- No old skis--only hyperbolic and cross country
- Only recumbent bikes (no straight up ones)
- No trophies
- No bags of any size (small through equipment)
- No Bow Flex weight exercise equipment
- No ab rollers
- No roller blades
- No pictures of any kind; sports or otherwise
Please contact us regarding large and heavy items.
- Guitar Hero Rock Bank accessories (video game keyboards and guitars)
Drop Off Guidelines
We greatly appreciate your thoughtfulness in donating items to our rummage sale. When gathering items, please understand that we are unable to accept every item. Space for storage, display and sale is limited and we must follow environmental and safety regulations.
The longest lines to donate are at the beginning and at the end of the donation period and on weekends. Please feel free to contact us with questions about specific items, particularly large and heavy ones.
To help keep your donation process simple and efficient, we suggest loading items into your vehicle in this order:
1. Computers, including peripherals and software. These will be unloaded last..
2. Books. Because books are heavy, please place books in sturdy bags or boxes with no more than 15 pounds in each.
3. Furniture and large items
4. Sporting goods, including exercise machines (not all may be accepted)
5. Electrical and optical equipment. Includes anything with a plug or batteries that must be tested before resale
6. Miscellaneous items
Please understand that we are unable to accept every item that is offered. Space for storage, display and sale is limited. Unfortunately, the cost to dispose of unsaleable items increases each sale, and we also must follow environmental and safety regulations.
Volunteer with Us
Volunteers are a valued and essential part of the Atlantic Visiting Nurse team. We are always in search of the generosity of volunteers to support our cause. Our volunteer network offers many unique opportunities to make a difference for you or someone else.
Request More Information
Please use the form to request more information.
All fields are required.
Please note that this form is for North American residents only.