Atlantic Health System guarantees that patients receive essential health care services regardless of their ability to pay. Financial assistance is available through a variety of programs to low-income, uninsured and underinsured patients who do not otherwise have the ability to pay all or part of their hospital bills. To take advantage of any available federal or state financial assistance program, you must apply through the financial counseling department. The financial counselor will explain the requirements for each program and determine your eligibility. Learn more about our financial assistance policy >
Financial assistance and discounts are available only for necessary hospital care. Some services such as physician fees, anesthesiology fees, radiology interpretation, and outpatient prescriptions are separate from hospital charges and may not be eligible for financial assistance through Atlantic Health System.
If you have questions, or if you would like to complete an application, please call 1-800-619-4024.
To complete a financial assistance application, you will need the following documents:
- Proper patient and family identification documents. This can include any of the following: driver’s license, social security card, alien registry card, birth certificate, paycheck stub, passport, visa, etc.
- Proof of New Jersey residency as of the date of service (note: under certain circumstances, emergency care is an exception to the residency requirement). This can include any of the following: driver’s license, utility bill, federal income tax return, state income tax return or lease.
- Proof of gross income. This should include the detail required by the hospital to determine the patient’s gross income (one of the following):
- Actual gross income for the 12 months immediately preceding services.
- Actual gross income for the three months immediately preceding services.
- Actual gross income for the month immediately preceding services.
- Proof of assets as of the date of service. These are items which are readily convertible into cash, such as stocks, bonds, IRAs, CDs, checking and savings accounts, or equity in a non-primary residence.
Send applications to the applicable mailing address below:
Chilton Medical Center
97 West Parkway
Attn: Financial Counseling
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
Hackettstown Medical Center
651 Willow Grove Street
Attn: Financial Counseling
Hackettstown, NJ 07840
Morristown Medical Center
100 Madison Avenue, Interoffice Box 111
Morristown, NJ 07960
Newton Medical Center
175 High Street
Newton, NJ 07860
Overlook Medical Center
99 Beauvoir Avenue, Interoffice Box 237
Summit, NJ 07902
Eligibility for Discounted Care
Uninsured patients who are New Jersey residents with family gross income below 500 percent of the federal poverty level will be eligible to receive discounted care. Documentation requirements for discounted care are the same as charity care except that the individual and family asset thresholds shall not apply.