Being a Hackettstown Medical Center junior volunteer is an incredibly rewarding experience. No matter what your interest or skills, chances are there’s a position in our hospital that’s right for you.
Junior Volunteer Requirements
Junior volunteers must:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 17
- Commit to a minimum of 50 hours of service*; shifts are available Sunday through Saturday, 6:00am to 8:00pm
- Complete medical prerequisites and training before their start date
*Once this condition has been fulfilled, juniors may volunteer four-hour shifts after school or on weekends during the academic year.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Junior Volunteer
Junior volunteers assist the Hackettstown Medical Center staff with non-clinical functions under the direction of department supervisors and in accordance with all hospital policies and procedures. This may include:
- Discharging patients
- Making unoccupied beds
- Distributing fresh drinking water, ice, nourishment and/or juices
- Auditing hospital-wide initiatives to measure progress and compliance
- Running various errands
- Performing administrative tasks
- Providing complimentary patient services, such as writing letters, reading and conversing
- Delivering mail, packages and flowers
- Stocking storage units
How to Become a Junior Volunteer
- Call 908-441-1220 for an application.
- Obtain two references from teachers or other adults
- Candidates whose applications are accepted after an interview* will need to provide:
- Health certificate signed by a physician with proof of vaccinations
- Documentation of a two-part tuberculosis test
- Attend a three-hour orientation and training session
* Applicants may be contacted for an interview only if there is a volunteer opportunity available.