Being a Hackettstown Medical Center junior volunteer is an incredibly rewarding experience. No matter what your interest or skills, chances are there’s a position in our hospital that’s right for you.
Junior Volunteer Requirements
Junior volunteers must:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 17
- Commit to a minimum of 50 hours of service*; shifts are available Sunday through Saturday, 6:00am to 8:00pm
- Complete medical prerequisites and training before their start date
*Once this condition has been fulfilled, juniors may volunteer four-hour shifts after school or on weekends during the academic year.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Junior Volunteer
Junior volunteers assist the Hackettstown Medical Center staff with non-clinical functions under the direction of department supervisors and in accordance with all hospital policies and procedures. This may include:
- Discharging patients
- Making unoccupied beds
- Distributing fresh drinking water, ice, nourishment and/or juices
- Auditing hospital-wide initiatives to measure progress and compliance
- Running various errands
- Performing administrative tasks
- Providing complimentary patient services, such as writing letters, reading and conversing
- Delivering mail, packages and flowers
- Stocking storage units
How to Become a Junior Volunteer
- Complete our online junior volunteer application and agreement >
- Obtain two references from teachers or other adults
- Candidates whose applications are accepted after an interview** will need to provide:
- Health certificate signed by a physician with proof of vaccinations
- Documentation of a two-part tuberculosis test
- Attend a three-hour orientation and training session
*Our junior volunteer program is at full capacity and currently closed. As such, we are not accepting any new high school applicants at this time. Please check back seasonally for updates.
**Applicants may be contacted for an interview only if there is a volunteer opportunity available.