Volunteers are a vital part of Hackettstown Medical Center, helping us enhance the patient experience and provide high-quality care. Our hospital is a professional, welcoming workplace and we treasure those who donate their time with us.
Hospital Volunteer Requirements
Adult volunteers must:
- Be age 18 or older
- Commit to a minimum of four hours per week for a period of at least six months; shifts are available Sunday through Saturday, from approximately 6:00am until 8:00pm
- Complete medical prerequisites and training before their start date
Areas of Volunteer Service**
- Information desk
- – Greet and assist patients, visitors, and vendors either in person or on the phone
- Emergency Department
- – Keep supplies stocked for our medical staff and meet and direct patients and families as they arrive
- Gift shop
- – Work the cash register, help set up displays and assist customers
- Book and newspaper cart
- – Deliver newspapers, books, magazines, patient mail and flowers to inpatient units
- Coffee cart
- – Serve light refreshments, cookies and fruits to patients and families
**Areas of volunteer service may be restricted at any time, as needed.
Other Volunteer Assignments
Volunteers may find additional opportunities within our cardiovascular, occupational therapy, physical therapy, pastoral care and community benefit departments. Sometimes we also need assistance with courtesy vehicles and in our mailroom, storeroom, Foundation, and business office.
How to Become a Hospital Volunteer
- Complete our online volunteer application and agreement
- Candidates whose applications are accepted after an interview* will need to provide or complete:
- Health certificate signed by their physician
- Proof of immunities and vaccinations
- Criminal background check
- Two-part tuberculosis test (offered by the hospital free of charge to adult volunteers)
- Attend a four-hour orientation and training session
* Applicants will be contacted for an interview only if there is a volunteer opportunity available.