Being a Newton Medical Center junior volunteer is an incredibly rewarding experience. No matter what your interest or skills, there is a volunteer position at Newton Medical Center that is right for you. We ask you to pledge a minimum of 50 hours to the program. Once this condition has been fulfilled, juniors may volunteer three hour shifts after school or on weekends during the school year.
Duties and Responsibilities
Junior volunteers assist staff with non-clinical functions. Activities include:
- Assisting with the discharge of patients according to policy and procedure;
- Making unoccupied beds under the direction of housekeeping in accordance with Newton Medical Center policy;
- Distributing fresh drinking water, ice, nourishment and/or juices as directed by nursing staff;
- Running errands requested by staff or patients;
- Performing complimentary services for patients such as writing letters, reading, conversing, and other appropriate requests;
- Delivering mail, packages, flowers, etc., as requested; and
- Stock storage units as assigned by department supervisor.
To be eligible to volunteer, please:
- Complete the Junior Volunteer Application, which includes a parent consent form
- Obtain two references from teachers or other adults
- Attend a three-hour orientation and training session
- Provide documentation of a current two-part Mantoux (tuberculosis) test or get tested by your physician
Submit the application and recommendations via email by April 15.