Molé Poblano is the official dish of Cinco de Mayo, the day that commemorates Mexico’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla.
So, we’ve used these mild poblano chili peppers as the foundation of this savory and authentic Mexican dish. With 28 grams of protein and about 300 calories per serving, these baked stuffed peppers are rich in vitamins A, B, and C, which are three essential micronutrients that are vital to good health.
- Olive oil spray
- 4 medium-sized poblano peppers (1 lb. total)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
- ½ medium-sized onion, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese or queso fresco
- 1 cup part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
1 stuffed pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil and spray with olive oil spray.
- Rinse and dry the poblanos. Cut a thin slice off the tops, remove the core and seeds. Cut a slit all the way down the side of each pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes, onion, garlic, salt, oregano, and cumin. Cook, stirring often, until liquids have evaporated, 5-7 minutes. Off heat, stir in the chicken, mozzarella, and cilantro, mixing well.
- Divide the filling among the peppers, adding it from the top and pressing on it to fill the entire pepper. Pack the filling into each pepper to prevent it from spilling onto the baking sheet.
- Place the peppers on the prepared baking sheet, slit side up. Lightly spray them with olive oil. Bake until the poblanos are soft and charred in places, about 30 minutes (the smell will be amazing!).
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and switch the oven to broil. Top the peppers with the cheddar cheese, sprinkling the cheese on the open part where you've cut the slit.
- Broil the peppers 6 inches below the heating element (not directly below) just until the cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. Let them rest for 5 minutes before serving.
DeLeeuw V. Stuffed poblano peppers. Healthy Recipes Blog. Published March 29, 2023. Accessed April 6, 2023.