The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) gives you the right as a patient to access your medical record and share it with members of your care team.
Frequently Asked Questions About Medical Records
How do I obtain my medical record?
You can request medical records in one of two ways:
- Complete in full our authorization for release of information in English or Spanish
- Enroll in Atlantic Health System’s MyChart patient portal to view your health records electronically.
How can I request my medical records to be sent to my doctor, myself or my personal representative?
Stop by the hospital in person or mail, fax or email your completed authorization form to the hospital’s address.
How can I request my medical records be sent to my insurance, attorney, school or work?
Mail, fax or email your completed authorization form to Atlantic Health System Release of Information, located at our Southgate Parkway location.
Can someone else pick up my medical records?
Yes, as long as you provide a written request. The designee must present a valid driver’s license, passport or county identification at the time of pick up.
Is there a cost for copies of my medical records?
In most cases, patients or their personal representative may request medical records at no charge, but some exceptions apply:
- Medical records sent directly to a physician’s office or other health care facility are always free
- Medical records released to a patient’s MyChart patient portal are free
- Medical records maintained electronically are free for the first copy; subsequent copies cost $6.50
- Medical records maintained on paper incur a $6.50 fee
When can I expect to receive a copy of my medical records?
Atlantic Health System will make every effort to prepare your medical records in a timely manner, but by law, we are allowed up to 30 days should any extenuating circumstances arise. Please allow for this processing time when making your request; we will advise you of the estimated completion date.
MyChart Patient Portal
Atlantic Health System offers MyChart, an interactive health management tool that gives patients 24/7 access to portions of their electronic medical record.
It enables you to securely use the internet to help manage and receive information about your health, including the ability to view test results, communicate with your doctor, manage appointments and more.