There’s nothing more refreshing – or more patriotic – than a dessert loaded with berries to celebrate Independence Day. This fresh and fruity treat is not just beautiful, it feeds a crowd and can be made in advance. The whole recipe takes about 30 minutes to make, so give it a try at your next summer party!
Total prep time: 30 minutes
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1 pint of strawberries (hulled and cut into thick slices)
- 2 pints of raspberries
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- ¼ cup sugar (or granulated sweetener of choice)
- 1 ½ tsp. cornstarch
- 2 packages instant lemon pudding (Fat-Free Sugar-Free if desired)
- 2 packages frozen pound cake
- 8 oz. whipped topping (Fat-Free if desired)
- Sprinkle berries with juice of ½ lemon
- Combine berries, sugar, cornstarch, and remaining lemon juice in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Simmer and cook just until berries begin to break down, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, let cool. Mixture should thicken as it cools.
- Make lemon pudding according to package instructions.
- Cut up pound cake into cubes.
- Layer trifle bowl with 1/3 pound cake – soak with 1/3 berries and their juices.
- Layer 1/3 pudding mixture on top of berries.
- Repeat until 3 layers are made.
- Top with whipped topping. Garnish with any additional berries if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Sugar: 20 g
Protein: 3 g
Sodium: 80 mg
Fiber: 6 g