July 11, 2016, Morristown, NJ – Responding to the need for more operating space, Morristown Medical Center today announced the opening of two new operating rooms, for a total of 30 operating rooms on the medical center’s campus. In addition, the medical center added multiple post-anesthesia care unit (PACU) bays, providing more space for patients recovering from surgery. The 650-square-foot, state-of-the-art operating rooms boast best-in-class technology designed to allow maximum efficiency and promote the highest levels of patient safety needed to successfully complete even the most complicated procedures.
- Immediate access to vital information and medical records on multiple, strategically-placed monitors to offer surgical team better visibility;
- Ability to manipulate medical images digitally from a touch panel at the nurse’s station;Advanced surgical table technology and software for integrated and seamless table adjustments during robotic surgery, versus having to manually adjust the position of the table and patient;
- Full integration of equipment to the medical software surgical teams use, allowing the equipment to sync with the surgeon’s instruments;
- Powerful lights suspended from the ceiling to ensure accurate visibility, even in difficult situations; and
- Enough space for robot-assisted surgeries, allowing the surgical team to perform even the most complex of surgeries.
“The demand for the high-quality surgeries offered at Morristown Medical Center put us at over 80 percent utilization for our operating rooms,” said Dr. Rolando Rolandelli, Chairman of Surgery for Morristown Medical Center. “With the increase in volume of surgeries requested, we needed the additional capacity, especially for inpatient and tertiary procedures.”In addition to the operating rooms, Morristown Medical Center added six PACU bays, ensuring patients whose surgeries are completed are quickly wheeled to a recovery bay and out of the OR, potentially minimizing their time under anesthesia. Morristown Medical Center has also expanded the waiting areas for families and loved ones of people having surgery. The expanded area allows for greater comfort and space for people who choose to wait out their loved one’s surgery in the medical center. The operating rooms will be used for all surgical specialties including robotic surgery, general surgery including advanced laparoscopic procedures, orthopedic, spine, neuro, and oncologic surgeries.
About Morristown Medical Center
Morristown Medical Center, located in Morristown, NJ, is a nationally-ranked regional medical center and a recognized leader in cardiovascular medicine, orthopedics and nursing. The hospital was recognized by U.S. News & World Report as a top hospital nationwide for cardiology and heart surgery, geriatrics, orthopedics and pulmonology. Morristown Medical Center also ranked as a “Best Regional Hospital” for neurology and neurosurgery, as well as gastroenterology & GI Surgery, gynecology, nephrology and urology. Morristown Medical Center’s Gagnon Cardiovascular Institute performs more cardiac surgeries than any other hospital in New Jersey, placing its cardiac program in the top two percent in the country. The Atlantic Orthopedic Institute at Morristown Medical Center does the highest volume of joint and spine surgeries in New Jersey. In 2014, the hospital was re-designated a Magnet Hospital for Excellence in Nursing Service, the highest level of recognition by American Nurses Credentialing Center for facilities that provide acute care services, a distinction awarded to less than five percent of U.S. hospitals. Morristown Medical Center is certified as a Level I Regional Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons, and designated a Level II Trauma Center by the state of New Jersey. Morristown Medical Center is part of Atlantic Health System, one of the largest non-profit health care systems in New Jersey.