March 7, Morristown, NJ – Atlantic Health System, one of the largest health care organizations in New Jersey, has been named by global research and consulting firm Great Place to Work® and FORTUNE Magazine to FORTUNE® magazine’s list of “100 Best Companies to Work For®“ for an 8th consecutive year.Ranking 79th on FORTUNE’s list, Atlantic Health System is the only hospital system from New Jersey on the list.As the parent company of Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, Overlook Medical Center in Summit, Newton Medical Center in Newton, Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains, Goryeb Children’s Hospital and Atlantic Rehabilitation, Atlantic Health System appears on the prestigious list in the elite company of some of the country’s best-known and successful corporations, such as Google, Whole Foods and Ikea. The list will appear on newsstands on Monday, March 7.
In his first week after joining the organization in May 2015, president and CEO Brian Gragnolati embarked on a “Getting to Know You” tour of Atlantic Health System, where he met thousands of employees. Since then, he has held regular meetings with groups of employees to gain their insights and brainstorm ways to lead the organization into the future.
“Throughout these past months, I have had the opportunity to meet so many of our employees and discuss how we can create Atlantic Health System’s Trusted Network of Caring™,” said Gragnolati. “They will be crucial to delivering on that promise to our communities, and that begins with developing a supportive environment that reflects the value of the hard work they do every day.”Gragnolati has been selected to deliver a presentation at the annual Great Place to Work conference in San Diego, April 6-8. His session will cover best practices for establishing and maintaining trust in an organization during a time of transformation.Atlantic Health System was selected from among hundreds of companies vying for a place on the list this year. Applicant companies opt to participate in the selection process, which includes an employee survey and an in-depth questionnaire about their programs and company practices. Great Place to Work® then evaluates each application using its unique methodology based on five dimensions: credibility, respect, fairness, pride and camaraderie.
The creators of the methodology behind the list, Great Place to Work®, have found that employees believe they work for great organizations when they consistently trust the people they work for, have pride in what they do, and enjoy the people they work with.“Now more than ever, it is important for companies to prove they are great workplaces,” said Michael Bush, CEO of Great Place to Work®. “Top talent expects as much as they seek new opportunities, and customers are demanding it as well as they decide where to spend their dollars. The 100 best workplaces are at the top of the heap in demonstrating they have a high-trust, high-performing culture.”
Atlantic Health System’s ranking was driven by its employees’ positive responses to the FORTUNE questionnaire:
- 95 percent said, “I feel good about the ways we contribute to the community.”
- 94 percent said, “I’m proud to tell others I work here.”
- 92 percent said, “When I look at what we accomplish, I feel a sense of pride.”
The organization has developed several ways to enable employees to recognize each other via the company’s intranet. Here, employees can post “Shout-Outs” about the accomplishments of their colleagues, showcase their organizational pride via On the Road photographs, and highlight specific departments in the daily “Good Morning Atlantic Health System” feature.
Atlantic Health System employees are offered numerous resources to help advance their careers, including:
- Leadership Development Programs for managers, coordinators and physicians
- Career Development Center, available to all employees via the company’s intranet. This convenient, online location allows employees to see newly posted classes, sign up for various programs, and post comments about their experiences. The new, enhanced web site offers programs that are meant to broaden job-related academic knowledge, keep current with business and technology changes, and provide opportunities for personal growth. From the site, employees can access the organization’s online Career Guide, school partnerships, tuition reimbursement and more. In 2014, the Career Development Center had nearly 23,000 views.
- Free classes and professional development sessions to employees, including courses in communication skills, computer skills, management skills, clinical and non-clinical specialty courses, customer experience, leadership and personal development. In addition, employees now receive college credits for attending some classes.
- Atlantic Health System partnered with VolunteerMatch to launch a volunteer portal, allowing employees to find nearby volunteer opportunities for causes they are passionate about. The portal allows employees to track their hours throughout the year. Those who log 24 hours or more in a year are recognized by the organization.
- A new, free course called “Career Development: Your Pathway to AHS Career Opportunities” was created for all employees interested in new careers/positions within the organization, or for those seeking guidance on their career pathAtlantic Health System also offers unique benefits designed for female workers, who make up about 76 percent of the organization’s workforce.
- Maternity Benefits - It is uncommon for an organization to offer full maternity benefits, including all maternity visits, the delivery of the child, and all hospital costs, covered at 100 percent. Atlantic Health System is proud to meet this high bar.
- Infertility Coverage – Atlantic Health System provides unlimited infertility coverage to employees and dependents who have difficulty with pregnancy.
- Adoption Assistance – Atlantic Health System provides employees with a financial subsidy to help with adoption expenses. In addition to providing parents with reimbursement for a portion of adoption expenses, Atlantic Health System employees can access the tools needed to begin the process. Since the program’s inception, the organization has assisted dozens of employees with adoption resources and reimbursement.
See the complete 2016 FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For® list, learn more about applying to be certified and recognized as a great workplace, or read more about how to build a high-trust culture >
View Atlantic Health’s snapshot on the list >
About Atlantic Health System
Atlantic Health System, headquartered in Morristown, New Jersey, is one of the largest non-profit health care systems in New Jersey. Atlantic Health System has created a Trusted Network of Caring™. Our promise to our communities is that anyone who enters our system will receive the right care, at the right quality, at the right time, at the right place and at the right cost. Our network includes Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, NJ; Overlook Medical Center in Summit, NJ; Newton Medical Center in Newton, NJ; Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains, NJ; and Goryeb Children’s Hospital in Morristown, NJ, as well as Atlantic Rehabilitation, and Atlantic Home Care and Hospice. It also includes its subsidiary, Atlantic Ambulance Corporation. Atlantic Health System comprises 1,599 licensed beds, more than 14,000 employees and more than 4,000 physicians. Atlantic Health System has a medical school affiliation with the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University; a Major Clinical Affiliate of Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey; part of Atlantic Accountable Care Organization, one of the largest ACOs in the nation, and is a member of AllSpire Health Partners.
Learn more about our Trusted Network of Caring™ at Atlantic Health System >
About Great Place to Work®
Great Place to Work® is the global authority on high-trust, high-performance workplace cultures. Through proprietary assessment tools, advisory services, and certification programs, including Best Workplaces lists and workplace reviews, Great Place to Work® provides the benchmarks, framework, and expertise needed to create, sustain, and recognize outstanding workplace cultures. In the United States, Great Place to Work® produces the annual Fortune "100 Best Companies to Work For®" list and a series of Great Place to Work® Best Workplaces lists including lists for Millennials, Women, Diversity, Small and Medium Companies and over a half dozen different industry lists.
Follow Great Place to Work® online and on Twitter at @GPTW_US.