Overlook Medical Center is the only hospital in New Jersey to be Recognized Among the Top 5% in Nation for both Neurosciences and Treatment of Stroke in 2017
October 18, 2016, Summit, NJ – Overlook Medical Center today announced it is recognized by consumer healthcare ratings group Healthgrades® as the only hospital in New Jersey to be named one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery™ in 2017. The hospital was also named one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care™ and Critical Care™. In addition, Overlook Medical Center is the only hospital in New Jersey to be recognized in the top five percent nationally for both Neurosciences and Treatment of Stroke in 2017, which means Overlook is the only hospital in New Jersey to receive both the Healthgrades® 2017 Stroke Care and Neuroscience Excellence Awards™. The medical center is also recognized among the top five percent of hospitals in the nation for General Surgery, Critical Care and Bariatric Surgery.
These achievements, part of findings released today in the Healthgrades 2017 Report to the Nation, mean Overlook Medical Center outperforms other hospitals in the nation in these categories. For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated nearly 4,500 hospitals nationwide, assessing hospital performance relative to each of 32 common conditions and procedures, as well as an evaluation of comparative outcomes in appendectomy and bariatric surgery using all-payer data provided by 18 states.“To be recognized as one of the best hospitals in the nation for Stroke Care, Critical Care, and especially as the only hospital in New Jersey for General Surgery, demonstrates our consistent dedication to quality and safety for the patients and community we serve,” said Alan Lieber, president of Overlook Medical Center. “For people who need our services, they can be confident in our commitment to their care.”New this year, Overlook Medical Center is recognized for Superior Performance in Bariatric Surgery and achieved the Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award.“
As a hospital that performs among the highest number of bariatric surgery cases in New Jersey, we are pleased to be recognized among the top 5% in the nation for outstanding quality and outcomes for this complex procedure,” said Lieber.For the 2017 Report to the Nation, Healthgrades compared Specialty Excellence Award Recipients as a group, to all other hospitals, as a group, and found:From 2013-2015, patients treated at hospitals receiving the America's 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care Award have, on average a 34.4% lower risk of dying than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award.
From 2013-2015, patients treated at hospitals receiving the America's 100 Best Hospitals for Critical Care Award have, on average a 30.0% lower risk of dying than if they were treated in hospitals that did not receive the award.“Studies from Overlook Medical Center were published earlier this year in the journals Stroke and Neuro Critical Care, citing our hospital for achieving exceptional outcomes in the speed and quality of stroke treatment and in reducing infection rates in the neuro-critical patient population,” added Lieber.
Atlantic Health System sister hospitals were also recognized in the report. Morristown Medical Center was recognized as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery, and 100 Best Hospitals™ for Cardiac Care, Orthopedic Surgery and Joint Replacement, and Newton Medical Center achieved 5-stars for its treatment of heart failure, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, pneumonia, sepsis, and respiratory failure.
Healthgrades recognizes Overlook Medical Center in 2017 for:
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Stroke Care™ - 4 Years in a Row
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for General Surgery™
- America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Critical Care™ - 2 Years in a Row
Neuroscience & Stroke
- Neurosciences Excellence Award - 3 Years in a Row
- Top 5% in the Nation for Neurosciences - 3 Years in a Row
- Stroke Care Excellence Award - 8 Years in a Row
- Top 5% in the Nation for Treatment of Stroke - 5 Years in a Row
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Stroke - 10 Years in a Row
- Critical Care Excellence Award – 2 Years in a Row
- Top 5% in the National for Critical Care – 2 Years in a Row
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis – 6 Years in a Row
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Respiratory Failure – 3 Years in a Row
- General Surgery Excellence Award
- Top 5% in the Nation for General Surgery
- Bariatric Surgery Excellence Award
- Superior Performance in Bariatric Surgery
- Top 5% of Hospitals Evaluated for Bariatric Surgery
- Five-Star Recipient for Overall Bariatric Surgery
- Gastrointestinal Care Excellence Award
- Top 10% in the National for Overall GI Services
- Five-Star Recipient for Esophageal/Stomach Surgeries
- Five-Star Recipient for Small Intestine Surgeries – 4 Years in a Row
- Five-Star Recipient for Colorectal Surgeries – 4 Years in a Row
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Bowel Obstruction – 4 Years in a Row
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Attack – 5 Years in a Row
- Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure – 4 Years in a Row
About Atlantic Health System
Atlantic Health System, headquartered in Morristown, New Jersey, is one of the largest non-profit health care systems in New Jersey. Atlantic Health System has created a Trusted Network of Caring™. Our promise to our communities is that anyone who enters our system will receive the right care, at the right quality, at the right time, at the right place and at the right cost. Our network includes Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, NJ; Overlook Medical Center in Summit, NJ; Newton Medical Center in Newton, NJ; Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains, NJ; and Goryeb Children’s Hospital in Morristown, NJ, as well as Atlantic Rehabilitation, and Atlantic Home Care and Hospice. It also includes its subsidiary, Atlantic Ambulance Corporation. Atlantic Health System comprises 1,599 licensed beds, more than 14,000 employees and more than 4,000 physicians. Atlantic Health System has a medical school affiliation with the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University; a Major Clinical Affiliate of Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey; part of Atlantic Accountable Care Organization, one of the largest ACOs in the nation, and is a member of AllSpire Health Partners.
Learn more about our Trusted Network of Caring™ at Atlantic Health System >