Newton, Chilton & Hackettstown medical centers score Five-Star ratings in treatment for an array of medical conditions
MORRISTOWN, NJ– NOVEMBER 2020 – Atlantic Health System’s Morristown Medical Center and Overlook Medical Center were again recognized in the top five percent of hospitals in the nation for the clinical specialties for which they are nationally and regionally recognized in the Healthgrades 2021 Report to the Nation, released today.
The report uses Medicare and other data to analyze a hospital’s quality and safety metrics in common inpatient clinical procedures and conditions and recognizes top-performing hospitals.
Morristown Medical Center maintained its leadership position as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals—in the top five percent of hospitals in the nation—for three years in a row for Cardiac Surgery™ and as one of America's 100 Best Hospitals™ - among the top 5 percent of hospitals in the nation—in these specialty care areas:
- Cardiac Care for 10 years in a row (2012-2021)
- Orthopedic Surgery for seven years in a row (2015-2021)
- Joint Replacement for six years in a row (2016-2021)
- Critical Care for two consecutive years (2020-2021)
Notably, Morristown Medical Center was the sole hospital in New Jersey to be named as one of America’s 50 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Surgery and as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Cardiac Care by Healthgrades in 2021.
Also, Morristown Medical Center is one of two hospitals in NY/NJ to be named as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery and one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Joint Replacement from Healthgrades in 2021.
Overlook Medical Center was the only hospital in New Jersey and New York to be recognized as one of America’s 100 Best Hospitals for the Treatment of Stroke for eight years in a row.
Since 2017, Healthgrades has recognized Overlook Medical Center among the top five percent of hospitals in the U.S. for excellence in the Treatment of Stroke, Cranial Neurosurgery and Neurosciences more times than any other hospital in New Jersey or New York.
Overlook Medical Center was also one of only two hospitals in New Jersey to achieve all three Healthgrades Neurosciences specialty excellence awards in 2021: Cranial Neurosurgery, Stroke Care, and Neurosciences.
In addition, Overlook is the recipient of the Healthgrades Pulmonary Care Excellence Award™ for 4 Years in a Row (2018-2021).
In addition, Overlook Medical Center was named one of Healthgrades America's 100 Best Hospitals for:
- Critical Care for six years in a row (2016-2021)
- General Surgery for five years in a row (2017-2021)
- Gastrointestinal Care for two years in a row (2020-2021)
Healthgrades also awarded Atlantic Health System’s Newton, Chilton and Hackettstown medical centers for high quality treatment of a number of conditions:
- Newton Medical Center was recognized for stroke care, placing it among the top 10% in the nation for treatment of stroke, giving the hospital Five-Star ratings for Treatment of Stroke and presenting the hospital with the Stroke Care Excellence Award™ -- all for the third year in a row (2019-2021)
- Newton Medical Center also achieved Five Stars for Treatment of Heart Failure for 11 Years in a Row (2011-2021), and Treatment of Heart Attack for the second consecutive year. The hospital was awarded additional Five-Star ratings for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Bowel Obstruction, Sepsis and Respiratory Failure in 2021
- Chilton Medical Center achieved Five-Star ratings for the Treatment of Hip Fracture, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Sepsis, and Overall Bariatric Surgery in 2021
- Hackettstown Medical Center received Five-Star ratings for the treatment of Heart Failure and Sepsis in 2021
“As the importance of health care has come even more into view this year, these awards and recognitions highlight the consistent, exceptional quality, safety, and positive outcomes throughout our system of care,” said Jan Schwarz-Miller, MD, MPH, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical and Academic Officer for Atlantic Health System. “These awards help demonstrate our commitment to reliable, high quality care and safety to our communities.”
“The hospitals that stand out for exceptional performance in these cohorts should be commended for their long-standing commitment to quality,” said Brad Bowman, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Healthgrades. “As consumers are increasingly savvy when it comes to finding and selecting a hospital, patients can be confident when they select a hospital that has achieved this Healthgrades recognition.”
The Healthgrades analysis shows that patients treated at hospitals receiving a 5-star rating have a lower risk of dying and a lower risk of experiencing one or more complications during a hospital stay compared to treatment at hospitals receiving a 1-star rating in that procedure or condition. From 2017 through 2019, if all hospitals as a group performed similarly to hospitals receiving 5-stars as a group, on average, 218,785 lives could potentially have been saved and complications in 148,681 patients could potentially have been avoided.*
About the 2021 Report to the Nation
For its analysis, Healthgrades evaluated approximately 45 million Medicare inpatient records for nearly 4,500 short-term acute care hospitals nationwide to assess hospital performance in 32 common conditions and procedures.
About Atlantic Health System
Atlantic Health System is at the forefront of medicine, setting standards for quality health care in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and the New York metropolitan area. Powered by a workforce of more than 17,000 team members and 4,800 affiliated physicians dedicated to building healthier communities, Atlantic Health System serves more than half of the state of New Jersey including 11 counties and 4.9 million people. The system offers more than 400 sites of care, including seven hospitals: Morristown Medical Center in Morristown, NJ, Overlook Medical Center in Summit, NJ, Newton Medical Center in Newton NJ, Chilton Medical Center in Pompton Plains, NJ, Hackettstown Medical Center in Hackettstown, NJ, Goryeb Children’s Hospital in Morristown, NJ, and Atlantic Rehabilitation Institute in Madison, NJ.
Atlantic Medical Group, comprised of 1,000 physicians and advanced practice providers, represents one of the largest multi-specialty practices in New Jersey and joins Atlantic Accountable Care Organization and Optimus Healthcare Partners as part of Atlantic Alliance, a Clinically Integrated Network of more than 2,500 health care providers throughout northern and central NJ.
Atlantic Health System provides care for the full continuum of health care needs through 16 urgent care centers, Atlantic Visiting Nurse and Atlantic Anywhere Virtual Visits. Facilitating the connection between these services on both land and air is the transportation fleet of Atlantic Mobile Health.
Atlantic Health System leads the Healthcare Transformation Consortium, a partnership of seven regional hospitals and health systems dedicated to improving access and affordability and is a founding member of the PIER Consortium – Partners in Innovation, Education, and Research – a streamlined clinical trial system that will expand access to groundbreaking research across seven health systems in New Jersey.
Atlantic Health System has a medical school affiliation with Thomas Jefferson University and is home to the regional campus of the Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Morristown and Overlook Medical Centers and is the official health care partner of the New York Jets.
* Statistics are based on Healthgrades analysis of MedPAR data for years 2017 through 2019 and represent three-year estimates for Medicare patients only. For appendectomy and bariatric surgery, Healthgrades used inpatient data from 16 states that provide all-payer data for years 2016 through 2018.