The physicians and team members at Atlantic Health System Maternity Centers are committed to helping expectant parents safely and comfortably welcome their newborns as we face the challenges of COVID-19 in our communities. Read COVID-19 FAQs and a message for expectant parents>
Taking good care of your baby isn't complicated, but when you're still recovering from delivery or feeling sleep-deprived, caring for your child can be challenging. Atlantic Health System maternity centers recommend this important information to make sure your baby stays healthy and safe:
- – Learn what to do if your baby develops jaundice – a condition classified by a yellowing of the skin or eyes.
- Shaken baby syndrome
- – Crying babies can be very frustrating, and feeling upset by a crying baby is normal. However, if a frustrated parent or caregiver loses control and shakes the baby with force, it can cause severe brain damage or death, even if the shaking lasts only for a short time. The National Institutes of Health has some tips to help you keep your frustration in check, and your baby safe
- Immunization information
- – To protect new mothers and their infants, our maternity centers offer several vaccines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) prior to your discharge from the postpartum unit.
- Safer sleep and sudden infant death syndrome
- – SIDs is the leading cause of death in infants between one month and one year of age and is often unexplained. The “Back to Sleep” campaign from the National Institutes of Health offers some ways to help prevent SIDS.
- Rooming In
- – This philosophy of care helps you and your family to learn the baby’s cues for eating and helps with bonding.
- While Your Baby is in the Hospital
- – Learn about common newborn screening tests.
- Car Seat Safety
- – State law requires that all children under 8 years old and 57 inches tall must use a child safety seat to prevent injury or death in an accident.
Chilton Medical Center
97 West Parkway
Pompton Plains, NJ 07444
- Effective 3/28/2020 - To prepare for an anticipated surge of COVID-19 patients at our medical centers, Maternity Services at Chilton Medical Center will be temporarily relocated to Morristown Medical Center where patients will receive the same high-quality care. Please contact your doctor for information.
- 97 West Parkway
Morristown Medical Center
Newton Medical Center
Overlook Medical Center