Having a sleep study at Atlantic Sleep Centers requires some preparation on behalf of the patient.
- Shampoo your hair and make sure it is free of hair spray or other styling products
- Bring comfortable sleeping attire
- Arrive on time for your appointment
- Contact us at least 48 hours in advance if you need to cancel
- Call ahead if you feel ill on the day of your test
- Bring an up-to-date insurance card, personal identification and a list of your current medications.
- Remind family and loved ones that they may not remain at our center with you overnight (patients under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian)
- Eat your regular evening meal before arriving
- Bring the completed sleep questionnaire, which will be mailed to you in advance of your appointment
- Consume alcohol, caffeine, sedatives or stimulants for 24 hours prior to your test, unless otherwise directed by a physician
- Nap on the day of your test
- Bring any valuables, such as jewelry
- Smoke on our premises
We recommend that patients bring all of their current medications with them and plan to continue to take them as normal, unless a physician instructs otherwise. This includes over the counter medications, such as Tylenol, aspirin and ibuprofen.
Exceptions apply for patients who are scheduled for a multiple latency sleep test (MSLT). Those individuals may need to avoid stimulant medications for up to two weeks prior to the exam. Please check with your physician beforehand.
Please note: Atlantic Health Sleep Center's services at Morristown Medical Center and Overlook Medical Center have combined and moved to a new location at 5 Regent Street, Livingston, NJ.