Keep Calm and Have a Strategy
As parents and children navigate a new school year in uncertain times, it's important to keep in mind that children are resilient by nature. However, anxiety can be contagious and parents should remain calm and supportive.
In a new video, Peter Bolo, MD, chair psychiatry and behavioral health services at Overlook Medical Center and the Atlantic Health Resiliency Advocate, gives parents advice for easing the transition and helping their kids build resilience.
Learn more about how you can:
- Talk to children of different ages about safety guidelines
- Encourage healthy interactions
- Speak with your kids about their feelings
- Communicate about what to expect
- Teach your children how to live with uncertainty
- Manage your own parental anxiety and be an emotional role model
- Establish routines and structure
- Praise behaviors you want to encourage
- Recognize signs that additional support is needed
Watch the Video
News for a Healthier You: Sign Up Now
Get updates on the latest health and wellness articles, events and services offered by Atlantic Health System.
This form is for North American residents only.